Official GIGABYTE Forum

RMA'd too early? GA-X58A-UD3R Electrical Noises

Joel_

RMA'd too early? GA-X58A-UD3R Electrical Noises
« on: January 17, 2013, 03:09:33 pm »
Hi all,

I bought my X58A-UD3R Motherboard (Rev 1.0) in Spring 2010.

I also bought an external Cakewalk by Roland UA-25-EX sound card for music production at the same time and throughout all this time have had electrical noises/feedback... mouse clicks, scrolling, static hissing etc.

I always suspected it was the Motherboard as I managed to get the sound quieter (although unable to make it disappear) by tweaking certain BIOS parameters (C1E) etc.

The noise never went away though, and then I found out about the 47 page long thread dedicated to the issue. What led me to believe it wasn't the sound card was that one day I tested it by plugging it into a laptop... and everything was fine, no static or feedback noises.

I've just realised last night, after testing on two other laptops that the noise only occured when the laptops were plugged into the mains and that when they weren't plugged into the mains there was no noise.

Today I received a new audio interface by Focusrite (Scarlett 2i2) and plugged it into my laptop, with the laptop running off of the mains, and no noise!

So it seems as though the UA-25-EX was the culprit all along and that there may not be anything wrong with my Motherboard, which is currently at the RMA repair centre in Milton Keynes.

It would have been received on Wednesday, should I just let the guys there look at it anyway or ring them up and ask for it back? I don't want to be waiting a week to receive it and hear that there weren't any faults found, which is what I'm suspecting they might say now.

Thanks for any help,

Joel

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: RMA'd too early? GA-X58A-UD3R Electrical Noises
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 07:37:12 pm »
Hi Joel,

If you have an e-mail contact for the RMA it might be a good idea to let them know of your suspicions. I know they would appreciate it and it might save a lot of grief for them and you.

That said, there could be a fault with the motherboard and there is no harm in letting them check it out, even if everything turns out to be OK with it. As they say, "Better safe than sorry".
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.