Official GIGABYTE Forum

Serious UEFI bugs, too high voltages on F2A85XM-D3H

Serious UEFI bugs, too high voltages on F2A85XM-D3H
« on: January 20, 2013, 10:50:15 am »
I just bought a Gigabyte F2A85XM-D3H together with a  A8-5600k. When I load defaults in UEFI the cpu runs too hot and throttles all the time. When I set everything manually to standard settings it runs too hot (67-70*C) and crashes.
I have tried re-mounting the heatsink several times and it is properly installed, the fan runs at full speed and the chassis temp is low.

The CPU itself works perfectly on another motherboard (Asrock FM2A75 PRO4-M) with the very same heatsink. On the ASRock motherboard I can set all voltages and undervolt if I want. But the Gigabyte board only have 4 voltages and can't be undervolted. I think it's CPU/NB voltage or GFX engine voltage that is set way too high with the Gigabyte motherboard and there is no way to change it.

An UEFI with all voltage settings and undervolt capability needs to be released ASAP. There is still no other version released than the initial release F1, why such slow work?

Vezina

• If it s not broken, fix it until it is !
Re: Serious UEFI bugs, too high voltages on F2A85XM-D3H
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 09:50:01 pm »
What voltages are we talking about ?
I am using a 5300 along some A75 MSI mobo and it is at a max of 1,420 V .
If it s under 1,450V it s ok.

On the other hand i use a FX 4100 cooler with it  with copper middle.
I would use some better cooler if the voltages are under 1,450V.

I am not sure undervolting is possible ,the MSI doesn t have it either.

Also use a multimeter for a correct measurement ,the problem may be the cooling.
Over & Out !

AMD FX (APU-s included) users should install - KB2645594 & KB2646060 under Windows 7

1.ASUS Sabertooth 990FX 2.0 + FX 6300 + H60
2.MSI A88X-G41 PC Mate + A8 5600K + Hyper TX 2
3.Gigabyte F2A75-D3H + A4 5300
4.ASUS AM1M-A + Athlon 5150

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 09:30:05 am »
The suspected voltages are mentioned in the first post. Also if you read it you'll see that cooling cannot be the problem either. The stock cooler is always designed to be able to cool the CPU at stock speeds/voltages. Furthermore as I already mentioned in the first post the very same CPU and cooler runs perfectly stable and cool on a ASRock motherboard.

The problem lies in the Gigabyte motherboard, and a qualified guess is that it's because of incorrect voltage settings in UEFI. Voltage settings that are hidden.

Vezina

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 01:18:18 pm »
The suspected voltages are mentioned in the first post.

I ve red your first post 10 times ,for the love of God where did you soecified them ?! :) How much voltage are we talking about ,show me numbers.

Show me a print screen with the voltages shown in the BIOS ,on the HW monitor page.
Also you should keep in mind that the temperature you are seeing is reported by the mobo sensor that can be quite inexact.

If you have a multimeter you can very well look at the voltage easily measuring towards the outputs of the coils in the VRM.

I would RMA the mobo if indeed is doing something wrong.

Don t expect 50 Celsius in load with that APU.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 01:19:01 pm by Vezina »
Over & Out !

AMD FX (APU-s included) users should install - KB2645594 & KB2646060 under Windows 7

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 06:14:37 pm »
The suspected voltages were mentioned "I think it's CPU/NB voltage or GFX engine voltage that is set way too high". I cannot see the actual voltage values thats why I can only suspect they are wrong. The vcore is a bit too high at standard setting showing 1,428V instead of the 1,400V default. If the CPU/NB voltage and GFX engine voltage also are set in the same way (a bit higher than normal) that could explain some of the temperature increase.

And like I said, it causes the CPU to throttle at default settings so the temperature must be too high or the board is very faulty.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 06:22:04 pm by veckans »

Vezina

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 09:25:49 pm »
The voltage is in specs as per AMD specs.
Most probable the throttling occurs due to a BIOS bug.
I have throttling on my 970-UD3 with the FX CPU as well and to get over it i have to disable C6 and APM in BIOS ,which i don t mind doing as i like to play with BIOS settings. :)

It s design flaw in the BIOS most probable ,a protection kicks in when it shouldn t maybe a thermal sensor is out of range .
If you have the C6 setting in BIOS and/or the APM one , disable them and see what happens ,but i am not sure though that  the FX cores in this APU-s have this settings available in the BIOS-es ,i haven t seen them in my FM2 micro board.

I have watched my APU on the competitor FM 2 board and it simply pushes to turbo core the APU when load is needed in some application.Voltages do peak in the 1,400V range though at load.They have it working though and keep in mind MSI uses the crappiest MOSFETS on the market :).

I recommend you to use Afterburner utility with HW Info set up , so you can watch the CPU cores and the video cores in onscreen display as the a game runs.Watch when the throttling occurs.The APU has a smart balancing feature between the CPU and GPU part.

Maybe you should try a RMA ,it may be some defective thermal sensor in your case.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 09:34:16 pm by Vezina »
Over & Out !

rebbae

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 12:25:01 am »
Qui bene bibit, bene dormit.

I'd consider a BIOS flash. Then you'd probably see what's what. I am guessing your Power Supply is not getting its work done as it should have. Since you're wellspoken on the problem you have, I'd save the BIOS you have, download a new one, even though it's beta, and load it up, then tweak twinkle it you already know how. The fact that the voltages are not mentioned in BIOS NOW, probably will if you put the new one. Of course save all settings to the weapon of your choice, but then load up the new bullet from that weapon.

I do not have the same MoBo you have, so I'm just stating my opinion since I had troubles with my Gigabyte.
Advice - turn off the (in the BIOS) Gigabyte Cool 'n' Quiet. It' a tool that is less than helpful - now that you're trying to OC and all.
What is your CPU? is it an OC-ed AMD BE? If so, turn all back to default, then reflash with the newest 'bullet'. I think you should, if not already, plug out everything from the MoBo, even the battery, even the RESTART, OPEN/SHUTDOWN, HDD LED... everything including RAM.
And a cheap, cheap trick considering RAM: take it out, clean it with alcohol, then rub the connection on the ram with pencil rubber, alchohol it again, a put it back in.
You're issue might just be a poor connection thru RAM or PowerSupply. Try out the powersupply as well as the ram on another PC.
Just opinions based thru a Jack-Of-All-Trades from the time when DOS and NC were the major things to have... Old school sometimes helps the new school...

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 09:21:35 pm »
An update:

I replaced my Gigabyte motherboard with a cheap ASUS (F2A55-M LE) and everything finally fell in place. Now the load temp is 10*C lower and it doesn't throttle anymore. Been testing it in prime95 for 4 hours straight now and still stable, will keep priming over night also. While I was still messing with the Gigabyte board I found a thread on Sweden's biggest PC forum (sweclockers) where another Gigabyte A75 FM2 user had the same problem as me with his AMD A10.

With ASUS and ASRock everything works just perfect and you can change all the settings you need, even on the really cheap boards.

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2015, 11:15:03 am »
I know that this thread is old, but I want to post my solution in case someone in the same situation is searching for an answer.

I have the same motherboard (GA-F2A85XM-D3H) and the same problem: voltages too high and no way to lower them in the bios, you can only increase them. My solution was to download Amd Overdrive: with this app you can lower the voltages, I set mine around 1,370 (don't set them too low or the CPU will become unstable).

To answer to Vezina: the overheating is real, if in the bios I set the PC to shut down at 90° it will shut down, and when you power it back on you can hear the motherboard beeping, if you touch the case you can feel it burning hot and a worrisome smell of heated components comes from it :-\ .

What voltages are we talking about ?
I am using a 5300 along some A75 MSI mobo and it is at a max of 1,420 V .
If it s under 1,450V it s ok.

My CPU stays at 1,402V in the bios and can reach 1,450V in Windows under load (at stock speeds), I don't think it's ok: In Amd Overdrive you can set the voltage to a maximum of 1,4375V, and in cpu-world I found this specifications for my CPU:

Boosted P states     #1: 4000 MHz, 1.35V
                                #2: 3700 MHz, 1.325V