Official GIGABYTE Forum

Auto unlock... Has anyone actually got it to work?

S3mt3X

Auto unlock... Has anyone actually got it to work?
« on: April 18, 2013, 06:41:44 pm »
I have just bought a GA-990XA-UD3 (rev. 3.0) and installed my Phenom II 565Be (this is a tried and tested stable unlockable cpu, as I run it in a Asus M4A78LT-M LE as a B65 x4 @3.4Ghz for over a year), in the bios I set to unlock the cpu, boot into win7 and it shows as B65 x4, but when I try to run Prime95 to test it the screen just locks up/ freezes requiring a hard reset. I find it unacceptable for Gigabyte to claim and to advertise having unlock technology when they don't or at least it doesn't work. This could be the first and last Gigabyte product I buy, so I was wondering has anyone actually got any cores unlocked? and if so please share how you did it.

Re: Auto unlock... Has anyone actually got it to work?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 04:01:17 pm »
I have phenom b50 and rev 3 of this mobo. A quick solution is to unlock up to 3 cores per cpu only. I have tested it with 1-2 hours with prime95. I hope it helps!

S3mt3X

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 05:42:15 pm »
Firstly thanks for your reply Recursion, I too had some luck with my chip under prime95 @x3 for 2-3 hours... but went to play Bf3, and after 5-10 minutes my system locked up, froze I had to hard reset. Bought a 965be now anyway (couldn't afford a FX-6300 and would rather have a Phenom II than any Bulldozer), but it would of been nice to know that Gigabyte core unlock doesn't work very well, if had known this I would of bought a new CPU first, then the second graphics card.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 05:52:00 pm by S3mt3X »

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 06:49:58 pm »
Firstly thanks for your reply Recursion, I too had some luck with my chip under prime95 @x3 for 2-3 hours... but went to play Bf3, and after 5-10 minutes my system locked up, froze I had to hard reset. Bought a 965be now anyway (couldn't afford a FX-6300 and would rather have a Phenom II than any Bulldozer), but it would of been nice to know that Gigabyte core unlock doesn't work very well, if had known this I would of bought a new CPU first, then the second graphics card.

I have the same issue with BF3 too. Currently I'm looking for a solution. I wonder how it can run for hours prime stable and then crash in a game? Maybe the temps are too high? I have read that when you uinlock the cores itself it works but because the temps thing can't be unlock the bios failed to read the correct temps and then OS is shutting it down? I don't really like the idea to spent more money on this.

S3mt3X

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 08:04:54 pm »
Idk about the temp thing, on my Asus mobo in HWmonitor TMPIN0 reads 10ºC higher than my CPU cores do, so when I enable the cores I just use that as a rough gage of temps, as the core temps get disabled when you unlock.

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 01:27:28 pm »
You didn't try enough. I got it working now but only with x3 (3 core unlock) and a small overclock. Compared to my old cheapo mainboard it's not very satisfied. Maybe Gigabyte can help us? On my pc the video card driver was bad. I can unlock my b50 to a x3 cpu and overclock to 3400-3500 mhz with llc=extrem and vcore=125 mvolt. Can this be better? It would save me from spending money on an fx? I need to test bf3 but I have run Bioshock infiinite test and it's about 5-8 more fps with this mainboard regardless of the lesser overclock and less cores!! So it's good!?

S3mt3X

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 07:46:20 pm »
Nice 1 Recursion ;D. Like I said, I've already bought a 965be, 3x is unacceptable. I don't think 3x would work very well with crossfire as 2x was only utilizing 40-50% of each GPU. I recieved this answer from Gigabyte technical service when I asked about CPU unlock
Dear Sir,

After checking with our bios engineer, it is CPU itself.
As you may know, unlock core successfully or not depends on CPU itself.

Maybe it is not good enough to unlock on 990fxa-ud3. It’s CPU margin.
The same CPU on different chip has different CPU code.

They also sent me a bios http://ggts.gigabyte.com.tw/FileList/1351460/99xaud33.zip I think it may be alpha (or beta not sure really) 99XAUD33.FEa.

Anyway, over 400 views and only one person has a semi stable core unlock, it doesn't look good for Gigabyte's core unlock technology.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 07:56:27 pm by S3mt3X »

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 08:19:33 pm »
Yes! I was looking for a beta bios. Thank you so much! Of course you are right x3 is too weak but my cpu was working with the other mobo. Also my number isn't right. With bioshock infinite it's up to 55 fps with this mobo and 42 fps with my old mobo. So, 2x 16 pci-e lanes is making a huge difference. Also I wanted to try to overclock my b50 much more with this mobo but I think I'm looking for a replacement soon or later for my cpu. In bf3 it's working but sometimes it crashes. Maybe the beta bios is better?

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 12:14:08 am »
Nice 1 Recursion ;D. Like I said, I've already bought a 965be, 3x is unacceptable. I don't think 3x would work very well with crossfire as 2x was only utilizing 40-50% of each GPU. I recieved this answer from Gigabyte technical service when I asked about CPU unlock
Dear Sir,

After checking with our bios engineer, it is CPU itself.
As you may know, unlock core successfully or not depends on CPU itself.

Maybe it is not good enough to unlock on 990fxa-ud3. It’s CPU margin.
The same CPU on different chip has different CPU code.

They also sent me a bios http://ggts.gigabyte.com.tw/FileList/1351460/99xaud33.zip I think it may be alpha (or beta not sure really) 99XAUD33.FEa.

Anyway, over 400 views and only one person has a semi stable core unlock, it doesn't look good for Gigabyte's core unlock technology.

Is this real? It gives me bios id check error. I have tried @bios and efiflash in bios with the same error? Please help!

@Update: I see. I have the GA-990FXA-UD3 (rev. 3.0). You have the GA-990XA-UD3 (rev. 3.0)? My bad????
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 12:15:16 am by Recursion »