Official GIGABYTE Forum

usb 3.0 dismounts

p1r473

usb 3.0 dismounts
« on: August 13, 2012, 11:46:01 pm »
Hi. I recently reformatted, and since then, I seem to be having loads of usb 3.0 trouble. A usb 3.0 external drive I used to use regularily is now always giving me the "this device can perform faster" message. I stopped using that drive one day and I went out and bought 2 internal drives and 2 external enclosures for them. The enclosures are by mediasonic, they are usb 3.0, and the drives are 4tb 7200 rpm from hitachi

Ill be using the drives, when all of a sudden, they will dismount and remount themselves. This has happened over and over. It seems to happen less in safe mode/clean boot, although I dont know if thats a coincidence. It is completely random when the drives dismount, no rhyme nor reason. Sometimes it will work for hours fine, then all of a sudden nonstop dismounts even in regular windows mode.

I have tried both my pc manufacturer for support, and mediasonic themselves for support. Ive made sure usb 3.0 is running through xhci, Im using the ltatest usb 3.0 drivers and firmware, and Im pulling out my hair!  I also dusted out the usb 3.0 ports to make sure that wasnt the issue. I also tried a usb 3.0 hub as mediasonic recommended I try. As far as the cable, I have 2 enclosures, with 2 separate cables, and they have both dismounted. Its not just one

My gigabyte board is a GA-X58A-UD3R rev. 1.0 running F8A bios.

The usb 3.0 controller driver is 2.1.36.0 and firmware 3.0.3.4. I have also disabled the usb 3.0 power saving management thing in the Renesas utility. I am also using the NEC usb 3.0 monitoring program that came with the drivers.

As far as my overclock, it was done by my computer manufacturer, and they tested it for stability and all, but its an i7-980x overclocked to 4ghz. (blck 154, mem freq. 1232, cpu volt. 1.36875, ddr volt. 1.50, 8.0 spd)

Im running my ICH sata mode as raid because I have 2 internal raid0 drives (and the 2 external ones are the backups for this internal one). I did have this problem even on AHCI. I have no other usb 3.0 capable computers to test on, and this problem is very hard to replicate. As I said, it seems to come randomly, sometimes not for hours, sometimes every 2 minutes. Thats why something like trying to figure out if its a software problem is troublesome, because of how random it is. Im not sure if its coincidence, but safe mode/clean boot seem slightly more stable, albeit I still do get dismounts in them, but again, its hard to replicate on demand.

It also seems to run fine on usb 2.0, though I only tested 2.0 briefly and then went back to trying to fix 3.0. I discovered last night that 3.0 was set to EHCI, and I thought I finally found the issue, but today on xhci, and even tyring the new usb 3.0 hub I was recommended to try to fix it, still dismounts

Im currently in cleanboot mode, had to restart the transfer of files a few times due to dismounts, right now its seems to be steady. But one oculd come at any moment. How bad is it if the drive gets dismounted while being read from? Possible data loss/corruption?

Thanks, I really hope you can help me.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 12:08:03 am by p1r473 »

bpchia

Re: usb 3.0 dismounts
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 02:27:20 am »
Hi there,

I'm also having the same issue. It started when I bought a Seagate USB3 3TB drive about 4 weeks ago. That was the first 3TB drive I had ever used and had to use GPT. Not sure if that had anything to do with it. At first I got the random dismount/remount problem, to the point it was doing it every 5 seconds.

Before this had been using a Newertech Voyager S3 dock connected by USB3 with no problems.

Subsequently I found that dock also had the issue, most obviously during long file transfers. I have actually had some dismounts on USB2 connections as well, not as often as USB3.

I have the Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3P, latest drivers, BIOS flashed, sleep disabled, etc. as you have done.

Hope for a fix or could this be a hardware issue?

p1r473

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 02:29:26 am »
My issue was caused by the softwares Crystaldiskinfo and Aida64

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 07:42:04 am »
I have the same problem as the original poster and I do not have Crystaldiskinfo or Aida64 installed on my system.  I have problems copying files to or from anything in the USB 3.0 ports, even a simple USB 2.0 thumb drive causes a disconnect.