Official GIGABYTE Forum

Weird annoying problem.. Please help? Hahaha.

Bow

Weird annoying problem.. Please help? Hahaha.
« on: January 26, 2013, 04:49:59 pm »
Hello, help would be great!
well everything in my pc in basically brand new, the gpu, hdd and ram are 2 months old, and I just bought a new h80 water cooler, a ga-x79- ud3 motherboard, a xfx pro 850w power supply, and an i7 3820 processor.

Now my problem is, when I turn my computer on, the fans light up and spin, for about one second, and that continues for another 2 times and then it suddenly boots, gets to bios screen, where I can pick what I want from there, my keyboard doesn't work (Logitech g110) doesn't work, but it lights up, so there Is power getting to it but it doesn't work no matter what.
Then it gets to a "bios is corrupt screen, don't turn of your computer wait for this update, blah blah, I'm sure you guys will know what it means more then me, and then it updates, it gets to roughly 30% and then my computer turns off? Which is reaaaaaallly bugging me because its not even a day old, please tell me I haven't completely ruined anything haha..
I'm thinking I should take it into the store where I bought it from and tell them what's going on and hopefully they replace it or tell me what's wrong, but first i thought I should try this site! And if its just something really simple, hahaha :(

If I've missed anything just say and I'll answer it.
Thank you for your time :)

Re: Weird annoying problem.. Please help? Hahaha.
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 03:29:14 am »
Have you tried removing one or more RAM sticks (assuming you have more than one) to see if one of them is a culprit?

Disconnect any peripherals that are not essential; just try to boot with bare bones basics and see what happens.

If all else fails, lighter fluid is cheap.....

Bow

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 04:18:18 am »
Thank you for your reply.

I've removed sticks and just using the newer one, that doesn't work, and the other one just does the same thing.
Yep, everything's out expect for the monitor and power cable, it still just gets to whatever percentage, (never over 50) and just turns off?

This is driving me insane, could it be a faulty power supply ?

Bow

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 04:45:10 am »
I'm wondering if it's just really embarrassing and simple, like a cable in the wrong place.. but if it was it shouldn't be booting at all, right?

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 08:13:47 am »
Hi there,

PC's can be annoying little devils, can't they?

Have you tried putting the basic components together on a cardboard box, to eliminate the possibility of a short circuit?

You don't state which GPU you are using, do you have another one you can try?

Do you have another keyboard that you can use? If you do, can you get into BIOS with it? Have you plugged the Logitech keyboard into one of the USB ports next to the P/S2 connector?

Do you know which BIOS version you have on the motherboard? If you can get into BIOS, update it to the latest version using QFlash.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Bow

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 11:03:19 am »
Hey buddy!
Ohh s*** yes! Hahahahaa.

No I have not! :o recommended?

Sorry! I use a geeforce gtx 660.

Yes I've tried that. Does not help at all, it just still won't let me get into anything besides this corrupt bios screen and then shuts off!

Not on the motherboard but I've tried to q flash, with both cd and USB, but it just won't let me get into anything. >:(

Ben

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 12:28:27 pm »
G'Day.

Did you put the system together yourself? because if the shop did, they would have tested it out or should have at least, if so then take it back.

Other possibilities could be short circuit as absic pointed out, faulty board, bent pins in mobo CPU housing, faulty wires,  loose wiring/connectors or wired wrongly.

As for re flashing your bios especially if it is corrupted, maybe someone else can help you there, as that is out of my league.

Ben.

Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3R-B3
i7 2600 (4.00GHZ)
Ripjaws X 2@8GB XL (1.7V)
Kingston Blu Hyper 2@2GB (1.7V)
Corsair TX 650
HD 6870 1gb
blu ray + dvd
1T wd hdd
500gb WD hdd
Gigabyte Armor+MX case
Noctua air cooling (4 fans)
AOC 27'
Win 8 pro Full

Bow

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 01:41:07 pm »
Hey Ben.

Yes I did, verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry carefully, hahaha, so the best advice is, take it back in and get them to fix whatever is wrong?
Better not cost me anything! just spent 800 dollars for my computer to not work, but ohwell, things happen I guess. :)
Yeah anything's a possibility. But I'm sure it's a faulty board, because I took my precious time putting everything in. :(
Ahh, so confusing, hahaha.

Thankyou for your time Ben, really appreciate it!

TFisher

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 04:32:58 pm »
If its the main bios thats faulty could'nt you force the backup bios to copy to the main?
Assuming it isnt corrupt aswell.

I read a post somewhere how to do it.  
Here's an explanation how to do it. Copied from a post in the forum.

"To restore the Main BIOS by flashing from the Backup BIOS you simply follow these steps but be aware timing is crucial so it may take a few attempts.

You can kick in the backup BIOS by shutting down the PSU from the wall, then hold down your case power button in and then turn on the power supply button, a few seconds later the board will start, shut off the power supply then.   Then you can turn on the power supply again and power up the board normally and DualBIOS will kick in".

I think this would work but i'm not sure. Someone with more experience might have the answer.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 04:36:45 pm by TFisher »
Asus Z270 Prime A/i7- 6700k / Corsair H110/Samsung 850 Evo SSD 250gig/3x Seagate 1tb Storage/16 gig Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2800/Asus GTX 1070 8GB OC/Corsair AX 760i PSU/Logitech Z-5500 Sound/Win 10 x64 /Corsair 780T Case/48" Sony monitor/

Bow

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 01:10:58 am »
Lets hope they both aren't corrupt.. Haha.
But the backup tries to restore the main normally but can never because it turns off too fast /:

I will give that a shot now mate!
I'll let you know on the progress :)

Well any help is good!

Bow

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 01:37:12 am »
No luck mate, it's already on the dualbios recovery screen ( I forgot to mention first) which probably could have saved everyone's efforts..) SORRY GUYS. /:

Scracy

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 03:15:24 am »
This may seem obvious but have you connected the cpu power cable ( 8 pin plug next to cpu fan header next ram slot top of motherboard)? If not this will cause the computer to boot cycle. Also bios needs to be f8 or newer to support your processor. Keyboard issue is also bios related which bios are you running?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 03:29:40 am by Scracy »
Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H
i7-4770K @4.8Ghz 1.42V Stable 24/7
16Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro @2666Mhz
Gigabyte GTX-690 SLI
Koolance EX2-1055 (Exos-2.5)
Corsair AX860i PSU
Samsung EVO SSD 250GB x4 Raid 0 @1580MB/S Read 1210MB/S Write
Lian Li PC-B25F Chassis
WD Caviar Black 2TB
Samsung S27B970D

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013, 07:40:08 pm »
Another thought struck me, although I haven't seen it cause a "BIOS corrupt" message.....what if there's no thermal compound on the CPU? In that condition I've seen them heat up so fast, the system will just shut off and maybe try to reboot. Usually I see a "thermal event" type of code on the screen, but hey, worth asking.....

Bow

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2013, 01:42:55 pm »
Thanks a lot to everyone's help, I took it into my local computer store and they plugged it in, and it updated the main bios, whicht struck me hard, I have no idea and they still have no idea what happened, so weird,

Thanks a lot guys!

Ben

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2013, 05:46:33 pm »
Glad you got it fixed, funny how things turn out like that, it's like when your car starts to play up & you take it into the mechanic & they find nothing wrong with it.

Gremlins, you got to watch out for them.

Ben.
Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3R-B3
i7 2600 (4.00GHZ)
Ripjaws X 2@8GB XL (1.7V)
Kingston Blu Hyper 2@2GB (1.7V)
Corsair TX 650
HD 6870 1gb
blu ray + dvd
1T wd hdd
500gb WD hdd
Gigabyte Armor+MX case
Noctua air cooling (4 fans)