Official GIGABYTE Forum

Gigabyte GA-FXA-990-UD3 BIOS Version??

jimdot

Gigabyte GA-FXA-990-UD3 BIOS Version??
« on: January 30, 2013, 11:10:04 am »
I just upgraded my BIOS version from F5 to F9. Everything seemed to work just fine however, if I go back into BIOS settings I don't see anywhere where it tells you the version. I'd just like to verify  that the F9 update did indeed take place. It would also make me feel all warm & fuzzy, know what I mean?  :)

Can anyone help?

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: Gigabyte GA-FXA-990-UD3 BIOS Version??
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 01:18:47 pm »
Go into BIOS and on the home page press the F9 key. This should bring up a sub menu with details of BIOS version along with other system details.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

jimdot

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 07:49:58 pm »
Thanks Absic. I did as you instructed which raised an additional question. Pressing F9 told me the following;

BIOS Version Main: F9 / Backup: F2

Is there a way to get the backup version to at least F5? I remember when I 1st purchase the 970FXA-UD3 I had to take to a shop to get it upgraded to at least F5( you helped me with that) so that it would accept my AMD FX8150 processor.

Thanks, Jim

P.S. I did take a backup of my BIOS F5 before I updated it to F9.

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 08:45:12 pm »
Hi Jim,

yes you can copy the main BIOS to the Backup chip so both chips hold the same version of BIOS. If you want the Backup Chip to hold an earlier version then things are a little more convoluted but you can still do this if you want.

First the easy thing to do is to get BOTH bios chips to hold the same version of BIOS. To do this check the FAQ I have posted here: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,10304.0.html which explains the procedure.

Now, if you want an earlier version of the BIOS in the Backup chip then you will first have to flash the main BIOS with the version you want, for example F5, copy this across to the backup chip, then reflash teh Main BIOS with teh version that you are currently using, for example F9.

Although the idea of holding two different versions of BIOS in teh two BIOS chips seems like a good idea, in practice it can lead to some minor issues, especially if you encounter a Main BIOS glitch and the best practice is actually to have both chips loaded with the same BIOS version.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

jimdot

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 09:01:11 pm »
Thanks once again, Absic. I will try the instructions in the FAQ 1st thing tomorrow.

jimdot

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 11:22:43 am »
I cannot seem to get the "Alt + F12" to be recognized as per your FAQ link you gave me. Am I supposed to keys those keys & hold them down & power up the PC at the same time or power up, them just press the "Alt + F12" keys together just once, not hold them down.

Thanks,
Jim

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 07:47:07 pm »
Yes, it can be more than a little tricky to get the key strokes to be recognised.

Basically, once you start the PC from cold, you need to press both keys, at the same time, in the same way you would press the "Del" key to enter BIOS. In my case that can mean pressing the keys several times in succession before they are logged.

As I mentioned in the FAQ, if your motherboard has a P/S2 keyboard/mouse port try using a P/S2 keyboard as I have found this to be the most successful. If you are using a wired USB keyboard, make sure it is plugged into a USB2 port on the back panel and that it is not going through a hub. If it's a wireless keyboard, good luck, I could never get mine to register the keystrokes.  :'(

jimdot

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 10:17:58 pm »
I don't have a native PS2 keyboard, but I do have an adapter(USB to PS2) that I can plug into the back of the mobo's PS2 port. I guess that might work. I will try 1st thing tomorrow morning.

Jim

jimdot

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 07:35:35 am »
Got things to work early this morning. I have documented the "Alt +F12" key & the F9 key since it doesn't seem to be documented in my mobo manual.

Thanks again for all your help, Absic.

Jim

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 07:38:25 am »
No problem and pleased you got it sorted.