Official GIGABYTE Forum

Windows 7 pro installation problems.

Windows 7 pro installation problems.
« on: February 11, 2013, 07:28:07 pm »
Hi all, first post and I hope someone can help.

Where do I begin, right, last week I bought a GA-970A-D3 with Phenon ii X4 965 and 2 x 4 Gig Corsair Vengeance DDR3 and if relevant a 500 Watt OCZ PSU, which I've had for a few months.  Now to the problem -

When I try and install Windows 7 Pro 32 Bit, it just seems to take ages ~ 2 hours!! on the third attempt. The system hangs at bios and then rolls on. then it starts to install, but I struggle as for some reason the wireless keyboard and mouse do not activate.. Starting windows splash screen hangs for about 15 minutes. There have been other problems - I thought for one minute it was one of the seagate hard drives which was a recertified drive. So I thought I'd go and buy a new one and low and behold , exactly the same problem.

So what I did then was to put the drive in my old system which was a GA-P31 -DS3L, Itel E8400 and 4 Gb DDR2 Memory and that took less than half an hour to install. The reason I upgraded was because the motherboard developed PCI problems and expansion boards would not work properly, but windows & Pro would run great and quick, but I felt I needed to upgrade.

Anyway, I won't write any more as your all getting very board, but I hope someone can help me as soon as humanly possible.

Thanks in advance.

Tony

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: Windows 7 pro installation problems.
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 07:50:04 pm »
Hi there,

What revision is the motherboard? You can find it on the box label or printed on the motherboard in the lower left hand edge.

Have you made any changes to BIOS?

If not you may want to try changing the settings for SATA ports 4/5 to IDE and connecting your DVD/CD drive to one of these ports as I have had problems with some ODD's when running in AHCI Mode.

Make sure the HDD you wish to install the OS onto is connected to SATA port 0. During OS install I would recommend only having the main HDD and DVD/CD drive attached.

Disconnect any external USB devices (except for mouse & keyboard) and make sure that the mouse and keyboard are connected to the USB ports next to the P/S2 connector.

Try removing one of the RAM Modules. Windows 32 Bit will only see 4Gb anyway and if you want to use all 8Gb of RAM you will need to install a 64 bit OS.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 08:25:59 pm »
Hi absic,

Thank you for replying. I honestly think I was going mad here and am I just being thick. Oh sorry there was a typo - I only have 2 X 2 Gigs DDR3.

Answers to your questions -

Board revision is 1.4 and today I have updated the bios to F11.

Sata is on port 0 and set to IDE. and is also not set to AHCI.

Only one drive is connected which doesn't make any difference. Connected everything else and still the same.

Tried with one stick of ram. No difference.

At the moment I am just about to install win 7 64 bit to see if that makes any difference.

I am also wondering if the ram could be incompatible with the CPU - I bought 1600, but the motherboard is running it at 1333. I think the phenom will only take 1333..

It just seems very strange when my old board with intel CPU installed in less than half hour and boots up in a couple of mins or less.

Tony

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 08:41:57 pm »
Have you tried installing the OS from a USB pendrive? I have done this for quite some time now and I find it much quicker and reliable than using DVD.

I would set the HDD to run in AHCI Mode as this could save you  problems further down the line if you want to upgrade to an SSD for example.

As you are running a Phenom ii 965 you will need to keep the RAM at 1333MHz. The fact that it is rated at 1600MHz isn't usually a problem, I ran my 965 with 16Gb of 1600MHz RAM running at 1333MHz for 18 months. What RAM modules are you using?

I switched my main PC from AMD to Intel a while ago and I have to say it that I found the difference quite surprising. The Intel system seems to be much quicker during POST & BOOT then any of my AMD rigs.  :P
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 08:55:03 pm »
Thanks again.

I wouldn't know what to do or how to start putting win seven on pen drive. But yeah should be quicker - would like to try it though.

SSD's are too small and  expensive for me at the moment, unless your thinking for me to buy a small one and put the os on that and use the hard drive for other software. Is that like running raid?

Ram modules are :- Corsair Vengeance CMZ4GX3M2A1600C9.

I think you definitely have a point about Intel based systems being quicker of the mark.

Funny I was going to buy an Intel i3 based system, but decided on this - I feel I'm regretting it now and thinking I've wasted my money.

Thanks

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 09:05:21 pm »
A good guide for installing Windows Vista, 7 & 8 from usb drive can be found here: http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-install-windows-7vista-from-usb-drive-detailed-100-working-guide/

You can pick up a 250 Gb SSD for around £150 which isn't too bad. But yes, you can get a smaller one, install the OS onto that and then use an HDD for installing other programs and files to and no, this is not like RAID at all, as the drives are stand alone not part of an array.

Corsair Vengeance have been my RAM of choice, since they came along and I have never had any problems with them on both AMD or Intel systems. (famous last words!)

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 05:18:10 pm »
Thanks absic, sorry I went off last night, I had an unexpected visitor, always when you never need it lol.

Anyway, I installed 64 bit pro and thats giving me problems with BSOD LOL - Getting sick of it now - I either should have stuck with my faulty PCI Slot  Intel system or built another Intel with i3 CPU. I have built many an AMD and Intel systems and never have I come across this. I can't even take the motherboard back as I don't think these small shops offer that kind of service. It's not like buying from online or PCWORLD. Anyway I'm writing this as quickly as I can before it gives me another BSOD. On the windows startup flash screen it hangs for about 10 - 15 mins then logs into windows as normal.  Do you have anymore Ideas, I'm all out - My next idea is to buy a different ram.

Just had a Norton error saying high disk activity, when Nothing was running. Oh the fault originated before I installed NIS, just in case you was wondering lol. Funny as I've been on, there has been no BSOD, though I'm not holding my breath lol.

So to clarify - 15 - 20 mins to boot up - Isn't normal is it.

Thanks again - I'll try and get on later on - hopefully I wont get a visitor LOL

« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 05:25:45 pm by Psychoman67 »

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 07:24:23 pm »
No 15 - 20 minutes is definitely NOT normal!!!  :o

I know you have updated to the F11 BIOS but I would actually try the latest F12c from here: http://uk.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4306#bios and I would also recommend using the QFlash utility to update the BIOS rather than the @BIOS software. Whichever method you do use make sure you disable the "Keep DMI data" option before running the update.

If this doesn't improve things can you post back with a full list of your hardware and peripherals as there maybe something else causing the problem.

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 10:43:04 pm »
Thanks absic,

I was going to update it to F12c but then saw it was a beta, which I'm not comfortable with. But I will do it. I'm going to try and install Vista and see what happens there. Yeah yeah I know, I'm punishing myself and I don't learn LOL I may do the Bios via QFlash, but bit worried as the last time I did that, many years ago, it rendered my motherboard useless.

Anyway here is a full list of my rubbish lol :-

Motherboard - GA-970A-d3
AMD Phenon ii X4 965
2 x 2Gig Corsair Vengeance CMZ4GX3M2A1600C9
Seagate  500Gb - ST500DM002
OCZ MODXSTREME-PRO 500 Watt
Saphire AMD Radeon HD6670 2Gig

And just the usual peripherals. - Tomorrow I'll try and strip it all down and re-build, might go out and get a few new sata cables, just in case.

Thanks again and any more ideas are very welcome absic.

Update :- Unfortunately, I'll have to stick with F11 Biois, as I cannot update the bios with a flash drive, appears to have gone missing. Me suspect my daughter LOL
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 11:26:07 pm by Psychoman67 »

Vezina

• If it s not broken, fix it until it is !
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 12:06:36 am »
I have had strange issues with my 970-UD3 with the 3-rd BIOS version regarding W7 installation stalling ,but i can t remember exactly what i did to overcome it:)
Nevertheless try and disable all power saving modes for the CPU like CNQ or C1E.

The BOOT time for AMD systems is ok ,under 60 seconds.
If your board is a Hybrid UEFI this will add 10 more seconds to the time prior to OS launch.With true UEFI or old BIOS this prolonged wait is non-existent .OS load takes maybe 30-40 seconds.With that CPU maybe you can still find a used 890GPA-UD3 it simply blazing fast.

I would advice for a mobo replacement to a UD3 version as the particular board you are using it s not an extraordinary release from Gigabyte ,unfortunately it still has BIOS bugs  :)  

It s not rubbish if it works as supposed to ,you will be surprised how well that rig work if  everything runs as it was meant to.

Install using a known to work DVD ROM and a known to work OS disc.Try some Live Linux distroes ,you can put the iso-es to the usb stick with some tools like Rufus USB creator. Linux Mint or Kubuntu could be a good way to test and see if the mobo has issues with them too .

Is the HDD recognized at it s full capacity and not at 32 Gigs for example ?!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 12:10:30 am by Vezina »
Over & Out !

AMD FX (APU-s included) users should install - KB2645594 & KB2646060 under Windows 7

1.ASUS Sabertooth 990FX 2.0 + FX 6300 + H60
2.MSI A88X-G41 PC Mate + A8 5600K + Hyper TX 2
3.Gigabyte F2A75-D3H + A4 5300
4.ASUS AM1M-A + Athlon 5150

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 12:45:19 am »
Thanks Vezina.

If there is an issue with this board , then why have they selling it.

I have now installed the latest Beta Bios F12c with no luck.

Installing Ubuntu might be an idea, I did have that running for a few months on my old system, but found certain peripherals  wouldn't work.

If there is an issue with this board , then I can't be the only one with this problem, but I'm not see it on any other forums.

I'm not sure if the shop will take it back. I think they charge for testing first. I have no way of proving it is the board , cpu or memory,

Yes hard drive is seen as 500Gb

Thanks - if you have any other ideas I could try, it would be most appreciated.

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 06:34:46 pm »
Slowly going bald here  :'(  LOL

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 07:22:38 pm »
I don't know about going and getting a few SATA cables. I reckon a few beers might serve you better!  :P

From the main components there is nothing jumping out and slapping me around the face as the possible cause of the problem.
What DVD/CD drive are you using?
What mouse & keyboard?
What Monitor?
What other USB devices do you have connected?
Any other PCI cards installed?

Sorry for all the questions but I am really baffled by this problem and although the above items may not seem important they could well be.

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2013, 07:40:49 pm »
A few beers sounds good absic mmmmmmmmmmmmm Anyway lol

I just bought a new Liteon DVD writer, though I also have a sony optiarc. I have tried alternate swapping on both drives and nothing different.

Mouse & Keyboard is Microsoft wireless 1000.

I do have a front panel USB and Memory card reader - I will disconnect to see if that makes any difference.

I did have a PCI with USB and Firewire, but decided to disconnect it, but still no difference.

You think your baffled - I'm at a dead loss.

Was thinking of returning the board to the shop , but they charge a fee of £10 for testing and receiving it - WTH - I hear you say lol.

Think I said I've updated to F12c now, so luck.

Oh late last night, I cleaned the drive and tried installing Vista - Well that just fell flat on it's face - Half hour and nothing AAAAARRRRRRRGH

KLUNK PRRRRP PING - Stop the pidgeon - LMAO

Oh just reset the cmos - I'll let you know what happens

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2013, 08:07:26 pm »
£10 for checking a motherboard that they sold you??? Do they refund this if the motherboard is faulty?

Have you tried contacting Gigabyte Tech Support to see if they can pinpoint the problem?

Do you have a USB mouse & keyboard to try? I don't use wireless versions myself and it might be worthwhile eliminating this possibility.

Yes, front USB card reader could be problem as I have heard of this before.

Dick Dastardly is obviously out to get you!!  :D