Official GIGABYTE Forum

Windows 7 pro installation problems.

Vezina

• If it s not broken, fix it until it is !
Re: Windows 7 pro installation problems.
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2013, 08:51:56 pm »
Make sure the HDD and the Optical are installed into the first 4 SATA connectors as they are numbered by the BIOS.
The last 2 SATA connectors will run in multiword when in IDE Mode which mean ,slooowww speeeddd .

I would test with a WD hard drive just to make sure it s not some strange incompatibility.

Hearing you talking about the store policy made me feel good about my country ,even here you can return the goods with no questions asked in 10 to 30 days :)
Get yourself a baseball bat and gain your refund.
We have quality beer here by the way ,but we prefer wine. :)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 08:52:46 pm by Vezina »
Over & Out !

AMD FX (APU-s included) users should install - KB2645594 & KB2646060 under Windows 7

1.ASUS Sabertooth 990FX 2.0 + FX 6300 + H60
2.MSI A88X-G41 PC Mate + A8 5600K + Hyper TX 2
3.Gigabyte F2A75-D3H + A4 5300
4.ASUS AM1M-A + Athlon 5150

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2013, 09:28:14 pm »
Forgot to mention, that during setup, I had to fit a usb mouse and ps2 keyboard as the wireless would not work, especially any alterations in the bios.

There is one other thing, when it first shows the starting windows screen, there is Hard disk activity for about 20 seconds, then stops..

Yeah the £10 you get back if found faulty. but I asked there advice about which cpu and memory is recommended for it. So if not faulty, I won't be going back .
there again. I have just tried another PSU, just incase there isn't enough power, but exactly the same.
I bought this last Thursday and it's been driving me mad ever since. I have 7 days to take it back, not sure if thats 7 working days. Just looked at receipt and it was last Wednesday  :-[  :'(

I really cant spend any more money on this, so another Hard Drive is out of the question.

When it's booted into windows, it seems fine and performs admirably.

Vezina - I might just take my Baseball bat LOL -

I need a few cans and a bottle of Rosé me thinks lol

Oh resetting the CMOS made no difference. Sighhhhhhhhhhhhh

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2013, 11:05:21 pm »
Came across this and thought, could it be this , that's causing my problems.

http://www.rodsbooks.com/gb-hybrid-efi/ ( I hope I done this right ).

Contacted Gigabyte Customer Support - Lets see how long it takes for them to get back to me.

Oh dear, depression is setting in - Mind has blown  - HA HA HA HA HA HA HEHEHEHEHE ARRRRRGH - I've F F F F F Fliped LOL

Vezina

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2013, 01:38:33 pm »
What if you downgrade BIOS-es ?! :)

You are using a Phenom so why not test BIOS -es from the first version that support your CPU ?! Nothing to loose.
Over & Out !

AMD FX (APU-s included) users should install - KB2645594 & KB2646060 under Windows 7

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2013, 05:15:07 pm »
Well guys, I did a strip down for the third timeand thought sod it, I'm taking it back to the shop. So of I went, board , cpu and memory and thought so what if it costs me a tenner. I spoke to a nice easy going guy and he had a word with his manager and he took the board cpu and memorry. I waited a few mins , then he called me in and showed me what was happening. Low and behold, the damn thing was working, only past the bios to the point of disk error , as there was no drive. I asked him what he did and he said nothing.He said it might be the graphics card, Might be incompatible. I could feel embarrament creeping in as I've built loads of systems and apart from the odd hicup, everyone of them has been great and never failed. So I thanked him and he never charged me, manager said he'd let it go, but if it was to test the full system, he'd have to charge, I said fair enough.
I got home and started on it. I started barebones without box and connected up to psu and monitor, like he did. It Started and went through the boot, in a flash. So I then connected the hard drive which has had windows 7 already installed and guess what, in less that a minute the whole thing wen from boot to windows. you should have seen me, felt the releif and smile on my face. So then I started assembling the whole thing into the case. Taking my time, making sure every connector was pushed in correctly and neatly tucked away and taking my time. So finaly finished and ready for the big switch on. Well here goes nothing, I thought. BUM BUM BUM - As in 1 2 3 booted straight into windows, in fact I dont think id have chance to press delete to get into the bios.
So guys, not sure what I did wrong first time, second and third time, but something was amiss. Now whether the guy did something and wouldn't tell me, I don't know. But I'm a happy Valentino now LOL.

May be I built it all in haste, I don't know, but it appears to be fixed now.

So I would liketo thank everyone for there input and help, these last few days. It is / was most appreciated.

So now it is fixed is it any better than my old system?
Ga-P31 -DS3L - E8400, 4 Gig DDR2, and same Radeon HD6670 - We'll see. Anybody know of any good demo games to test it? something like a shootem up.

Thank you - Tony

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2013, 07:14:51 pm »
Hi again,

pleased that you got it sorted, even if you don't know exactly what went wrong the first time around. Still, it's a computer and they like to throw these things at us, just to keep us on our toes.

But remember..........

Anything can happen in the next half hour.  :P
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Vezina

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2013, 11:40:52 pm »
Glad you got the thing going.
Most probable some BIOS glitch that went away when the guys cleared CMOS or replaced/tested stuff in there.

Practically you can play everything ,but the video card is oriented towards 1680 X1050 with medium details to high depending on the title.

A nice fun game would be Dirt 2 for the looks ,you can play even Crysis the original one with a decent  level of detail.

If you like blood games play some Chivalry Medieval Warfare  .
For this last game i recommend you Catalyst 13.1 as video driver as older video drivers may have issues with Unreal Engine 3 titles as in freezing.

This games do tend to stress the hardware and show the instability problems.

I recommend personally when you are playing games to disable CnQ in BIOS .
C1E should be off permanently to avoid clicks pops in sound.

LE:Oh and almost forgot , Metro 2033 is a game to play ,it stresses video cards to the bones.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 11:43:08 pm by Vezina »
Over & Out !

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2013, 09:30:35 am »
Thanks again guys for all your help. Normally I know what I'm doing - I think LOL

Think it was about the third time I dismantled the whole thing, a case of rip up n try again. The bios was reset a few times by myself, I even took the battery out lol. The only thing I can think of that may have been the cause is the Sata cables and sockets on the board. I think that sata cables have cheap sockets and are a far cry from the robust IDE cables. I had less problems with IDE years agao. Anyway, this board has awkward right angled Sata sockets, well awkward for my new case, which is slightly smaller than my old one and only a cheap one. It was a tight space to work with as the hard drives are virtually on top of the sata sockets. I had to work from the back. I'll take some pics to show you all what I mean. Really need another DVD drive, my other old one is cream and the case is black lol.

What I have noticed though is a stuttering of the sound now and again. Not sure what that is. I may even re-install windows 7 again as, may be the original installation might have got a little corrupt some how.

Thanks   :D

I just love tinkering LOL

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2013, 01:14:57 pm »
Have you installed EasyTune6? If yes, remove it and see if that helps with sound.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2013, 04:52:38 pm »
How would that affect the sound?
 I will remove it though - like I said I love tinkering hehehe.

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2013, 07:25:34 pm »
EasyTune6 is known to cause audio problems in some instances, as it can introduce latency to the system. Other programs can also cause this kind of problem though but this is as good as any place to start.

This is one of the many reasons that any overclocking (I know you're not overclocking.......yet!) should be done through BIOS rather than through software in the Windows environment.

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2013, 07:30:56 pm »
Thanks absic,

I never overclock, never needed too and I don't think my stock fan would be enough to keep the cpu cool.

I haven't uninstalled Easytune yet, but I will.

Can I ask - I may have caught the bug again, so probably in a few months, I may buy a better CPU. How much would I have to spend to get something far better, than the 965.

Cheers - Time for some relaxing tonight and some beer and wine LOL.

Vezina

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2013, 10:07:37 pm »
You wont find something far better than the 965 with that mobo.If i am not mistaking you are not able to run FX 2-nd generation 8 cores on this mobo.
I would say the CPU you have is quite ok.
Maybe buying a X6 could bring more interesting experiences.Something like X6 6300 or X6 1090T could be interesting.
Over & Out !

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2013, 11:59:54 am »
Apparently I can go up to an FX 8350 Vishera. Not sure if it would bring much of an improvement though.

It's amazing, even though I've built so many systems, There will always be something down the road that comes and trips you up. Well in this game, it's a continuous learning curve.

So now to test this system with some video editing from my Digital 8 Camcorder.

Thank you

Vezina

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2013, 12:08:26 pm »
Yes , the revision 1.4 & 3.0 takes a FX 8350 , not the other versions though.Forgot they updated the board capabilities.

If you are using software that knows 8  cores then yes you will gain more performance compared to the 965 otherwise just overclock the one you have and reach the PII X4 975/980 clocks.
This in case you are having the low TDP version of the 965 as the 140W TDP one is already at it s peak.

You have a powerful machine there ,just put it to full use. :)
Over & Out !