Official GIGABYTE Forum

Z77X-UD5H; Windows 7 Install DVD doesn't boot [Solved]

Z77X-UD5H; Windows 7 Install DVD doesn't boot [Solved]
« on: February 21, 2013, 06:10:14 pm »
BIOS Version: F14

I have Ubuntu installed on my machine with grub 2.0 installed, and want to dual-boot Windows 7.  I have a brand new Win7 install DVD, but the machine never boots to the DVD when its in the tray.  The disc does show up on the Ubuntu desktop, though, and I can browse it there.

The optical drive is a new Pioneer Blu-ray/DVD/CD drive.

I've tried changing these settings from the default, both individually and in conjunction, with no luck:
SATA Mode Selection: AHCI/IDE
60/64 port Emulation: Enabled/Disabled

I have the BIOS set with Boot Option #1 to the SATA optical drive, and Boot Option #2 set to the SATA hard drive.

I feel like I'm missing something rudimentary here - any ideas on the most obvious places to start?   I won't be able to check the DVD in another computer until tomorrow, but it would seem unlikely that a brand new Windows install DVD would be problematic for booting, yet show up on the desktop.

Thanks!
Kel
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 06:48:49 pm by Kelstek »

Re: Z77X-UD5H; Windows 7 Install DVD doesn't boot
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 06:48:19 pm »
Aha!  I wasn't aware that pressing F12 during boot brought up a boot menu.  (I found reference to this at the link below.)  That did the trick, though I only had a split second to hit any key at the prompt screen before the system skipped to the GRUB boot screen.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/user-builds/77030-ultrazones-master-audio-build-gigabyte-ga-z77x-ud5h-core-i7-3770k-32gb-ram-gigabyte-gtx-650-a.html