Official GIGABYTE Forum

New GPU not working with my GA-Z77X-UD5H - Bad GPU or wrong BIOS settings ?

uk lee

Hi , I've just bought a new MSI GTX660Ti GPU from amazon , i was previously running the on board HD4000 graphics from the Intel I7 3770K CPU.
When i plug the new GPU in and reboot - i get the 'GIGABYTE' splash screen on my monitor , and it just hangs there -I am unable to enter any of the options and pressing DEL , F8 , F12 etc gives no response.

I've installed all the drivers , and i simply switch off the PC , installed the graphics card , take the DVI cable out of the mobo socket and plug it into the GPU socket then switch on.

The bios beeps once , the display remains frozen on the splash screen for about 3 minutes , then another single beep from the bios and   the display remains frozen on the splash screen for another4 or 5 minutes , then eventually the screen goes black , with just a single flashing underscore. No keyboard inputs make any difference.

re-booting just gives the same result.

BIOS settings are all at default  Including >  Init Display First - Auto , Internal Graphics - Auto

So , is there something that i'm doing wrong or is the new graphics card DOA ?

Please help

Many thanks

Lee

MoBo: GA-Z77X-UD5Hv1.0  Bios version - F8
CPU: CORE I7 3770K
Power Supply:Coolermaster Pro 600W modular PSU
Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 
Samsung 256GB SSD + 2 x Seagate 2TB HDD's
Video Card: MSI GTX660Ti N660TI-PE-2GD5/OC
Gigabyte GA-Z77Z-UD5H (rev 1.1) Mobo  , BIOS F16j , Intel Ivybridge  i7 3770k @ 3.5Ghz socket 1155 CPU Nvidia GTX660 Ti GPU , 4 x G.Skill 4GB (16GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RipjawsX Memory DIMMs . Windows 10 Pro (64 bit) , (C:) Samsung 1TB SSD (D:) WD 4TB HDD (E:) WD 1TB HDD

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Hi there,

the first thing I would try is updating the BIOS as F13 improved VGA compatibility and F14 improves system compatibility.

I would recommend using QFlash to update the BIOS and also I would suggest that you update in a couple of stages F8 - F10, F10 - F12, F12 - F14 rather than going straight from F8 - F14.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

uk lee

thank you - ill' try that . Is there somewhere specific i should save the file to , once Ive downloaded it from the Gigabyte website ?

or once in the utility , can i simply browse for the file ?

ive never used the q-flash utility before.

Lee
Gigabyte GA-Z77Z-UD5H (rev 1.1) Mobo  , BIOS F16j , Intel Ivybridge  i7 3770k @ 3.5Ghz socket 1155 CPU Nvidia GTX660 Ti GPU , 4 x G.Skill 4GB (16GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RipjawsX Memory DIMMs . Windows 10 Pro (64 bit) , (C:) Samsung 1TB SSD (D:) WD 4TB HDD (E:) WD 1TB HDD

absic

• Bandcamp
Hi Lee,

you might like to check out the FAQ here: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,2441.msg13929.html#msg13929 which should answer your specific questions but, if it doesn't, just ask and someone will point you in the right direction.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

uk lee

Hi Lee,

you might like to check out the FAQ here: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,2441.msg13929.html#msg13929 which should answer your specific questions but, if it doesn't, just ask and someone will point you in the right direction.

Thanks very much :-)

I used a usb pen drive with the q flash utility. I did it in stages as suggested , and im now running version bios version f14 .

Should i go ahead an install the graphics card in the same way i did before and hope it works ?

Lee

absic

• Bandcamp
Yes, that is what I would do.

uk lee

Success !!

That seems to have done the trick , New GPU installed & everything appears to be working as it should now. I feel such a squid for not checking for BIOS updates !

oh well , all's well that ends well . Thanks very much for you help (and your patience !)

I really appreciate it.

Lee

absic

• Bandcamp
No problem and pleased you are now up and running.

And, if it makes you feel any better, you don't always need BIOS updates to get things working and it could, quite easily, have been something else.  :P