Official GIGABYTE Forum

issue with sata drive NOT being found on boot

Jai

issue with sata drive NOT being found on boot
« on: February 24, 2013, 08:23:54 am »
Ok my problem is very very simple, but cannot seem to figure it out. Here is the first problem, I have 2 SSD samsungs that the computer picks up on BOOT they are in Port 0 and 1, no issues there. I do not have Raid enabled, I have ACHI ON and IDE in port 4/5. It will NOT detect the HDD that is 1TB from samsung unless i hotplug it in with windows on. Dont know why this is and I cannot seem to fix it. Also with the latest bios I cannot find a way to SHOW the memory test like i have on my old one. Its either full screen logo or American Trends logo. Quite annoying. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: issue with sata drive NOT being found on boot
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 08:26:29 am »
It would help if you told us which motherboard you are using, along with your other hardware.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Jai

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 08:28:03 am »
GA-990FXA-UD3 mobo rev 3.  Samsung SSD 250's are found fine.  The only way the TB is found is if i plug it in while windows is up

Jai

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 08:48:57 am »
Is the 1Tb HDD a hot swap device or permanently installed within the system?

In BIOS go to the System page and check the settings for the SATA channels under the ATA Port Information heading.

Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Jai

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 09:05:34 am »
its hooked up the whole time via the sata 3 port, ok ill check that and get back to you right away

Jai

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 09:09:45 am »
Ok I'm here there is no settings just listing the hard drives, it is not listed.  However it will show up in windows if I rep lug it in the same sata port and I've tried it in all the different ports

Jai

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 09:12:50 am »
Let me also annotate I have tested in peripherals and sb sata configuration and tried it with all sata hot plugs enabled and the sata powers are all enabled by default

Jai

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 10:43:57 am »
apparently im NOT the only one with this problem

https://www.google.com/search?q=gigabyte+how+to+turn+drives+on&aq=f&oq=gigabyte+how+to+turn+drives+on&aqs=chrome.0.57j62l2.5873&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

and I have it set to ACHI and NOT raid.  I have a 64 bit system, and it only finds it when i hot power it on with windows up

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2013, 11:39:56 am »
Best advice I can offer is for you to contact Gigabyte Technical Support on your side of the pond and see what they suggest.

Jai

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2013, 11:42:54 am »
yeah i plan on doing that, i was going to upgrade to SSD's which I am almost 100% positive wont have this issue, but then again who knows

Jai

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2013, 01:13:06 pm »
ok im getting somewhere now, i forget to mention this, on port 0 and port 1 is 2 250Gb Samsung SSD's being detected, on a HUNCH, I disconnect port 0 and put it on the HDD, VIOLA, shows it now.  So why is it doing this? When I plug in the 2 250;s it wont detect all 3.

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2013, 07:09:53 pm »
As a matter of interest, if you plug the HDD into SATA port 0 and the SSD's into SATA ports 1 & 2 are all the drives being recognized?

Jai

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2013, 12:07:32 am »
NO, only if i plug in 2 drives.  3 drives NO Matter what the port configuartion is. 

ok an update on the situation, apparently Gigabyte is TELLING me that I need to format the drive.  Its not detecting on cold boot because the computer it WAS ON has loaded those drivers on the HDD, this is why its detected via plug in hot.  Does this make sense, it seems logical, whether or not its right is another story.

Doesnt make sense though if you really think about it.  Why can i boot up with 1 250gb and the 1tb but when i connect all 3 i cannot.

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 07:31:37 am »
I've got to say that I have not come across this before and I wonder what would happen if the HDD was brand new. Would you still be unable to BOOT with it attached as it hadn't been formatted?

If the HDD had been formatted on a Mac PC then yes, I think there might be issues but not if it has been done on a Windows PC. I guess, if you are in a position to reformat the HDD then it is worth trying, as there may be something in the BIOS that now requires this.