Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-970A-DS3 fails memtest using Corsair CMX8GX3M2B1600C9

GA-970A-DS3 fails memtest using Corsair CMX8GX3M2B1600C9
« on: March 02, 2013, 11:11:58 am »
I am building a new system using a GA-970A-DS3 rev1 board & Corsair memory (2x4gb).The BIOS is currently set to AUTO for frequency and voltages etc. It is running at 1333/1.5v by default. When tested individually or as a pair the memory fails on test 7, running indefinitely showing fail this test. Could this be a board or even a CPU (AMD Bulldozer FX-6 6200 ) problem. The voltages seem to be spot on when I checked so unless these sticks need to be over voltage not sure what's going on.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: GA-970A-DS3 fails memtest using Corsair CMX8GX3M2B1600C9
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 07:35:34 pm »
Unfortunately this is a chicken or egg situation and it could be any number of things that are causing the problem.

You don't say which BIOS version you are currently running on the motherboard but if it is not the latest version (F7a) then I would update to that using QFlash, to see if that helps.

If all of the components are new then I would probably double check the RAM to see if they are actually faulty. How do you do this? I can hear you asking..... Not easily, unless you have access to another PC to test them in or if you can borrow some known working RAM from a friend. If you are unable to test the modules or replace them then these are the first item that I would RMA.

Yes, the memory controller is built into the CPU so there is the possibility that this is faulty as is the chance that there is a fault with other hardware. If you purchased all of the components from the same retailer you could RMA them all and ask them to check everything out to make sure there are no compatibility issues that you aren't aware of.

Also, consider the other hardware you are using as any of these items may also be at the root cause of the issue.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.