Official GIGABYTE Forum

Gigabyte HD 7970 OC voltage locked ??

bess

Re: Gigabyte HD 7970 OC voltage locked ??
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2013, 12:17:37 pm »
Gigabyte, you must release an unlocked BIOS. These cards are bought, because the reviews describe them as good for overclocking. Users pay more than a reference for a better cooler, PCB design and power sections.
Change the operating specifications, can be considered misleading to buyers.
You need to consider our complaints  in order to keep buyer loyalty. If you don't do this, you have already lost a customer.
Paolo.
Totally agree. I have a pair of new Gigabyte GV-R797OC-3GD with BIOS ver.F70. The max. stable clock is 1150 mhz for mining btc (3D-games are for children...) :D. This was good side. And the bad side that like anybody else I read a rewiews and I saw a successful reports from serious reviewvers about 1200 mhz with 1.2v and no OC Guru no MSI AB can't increase the GPU voltage  :(
Moreover first try to flash official F72 BIOS from official Gigabyte site bricked one card  :o I'm almost s***ted by bricks that time  :D Then I reflashed it with it's original F70 version and the card became alive again. What the heck?  :-\
Yesterday I tried to flash second card (which is not connected to monitor) and Easy Tune from Gigabyte reported Flashed successful/reboot but not one software recognied a new ver. of installed BIOS (v.F72)! What the heck-2?!
I understand Gigabyte too. They sell god product and they do not wish to repair burned cards when stupid users clock and overvoltage them higher than it is presumed and safe. But some are responcible people and overclock to the safe limit. I belive 1200 mhz is the safe with 1.2v. I can clearely understand that because I see that with not better cooler it is not possible to work with higher clocks or voltage. And it is winter now and ambient T,c is ~20C but in summer it will be much hotter for cards. So give us a normal bios and the way to flash it please!

Sigtran

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2013, 06:17:28 pm »
You are lucky wih 1150MHz, I cannot get more then 1050MHz (and to stay rock stable) on stock 1.17V, which is really bad, as friend of mine who bought v1.0 version just a few months before me (I got v2.1 which is way worse, but I didn't know at the time) is reaching stable 1200MHz with moderate 1.2V. He was the reason I opted for Gigabyte in the first place, but now I feel cheated!

I also paid more money and got less performance then my other fried who bought Gigabyte 7950 and OC'ed it to also 1200MHz. And on top of that, Gigabyte locked the voltage (only) on my card. It really sucks. :(
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 06:21:02 pm by Sigtran »

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2013, 10:45:47 am »
Well, if I can't OC this card then I'm going to cancel my order from ncix.

Gigabyte, release a voltage-unlocked BIOS for this card, please. It's ridiculous that it's voltage-locked, and entirely contradicts its good cooling.

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2013, 08:25:29 am »
I've made a thread here which should explain how to unlock the voltage on these cards:
http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,11966.0.html

Hope it works for people

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2013, 05:13:59 pm »
I'm using Asus 7970 DCU II TOP and voltage locked too. Looks not just Asus or Gigabyte problem...