Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-EP45-UD3P dual lan question.

GA-EP45-UD3P dual lan question.
« on: January 22, 2010, 11:36:00 pm »
I have a GA-EP45-UD3P 1.6 motherboard and I have a question about it. I've noticed that I am able to plug in 2 Ethernet cables into it. I do see activity in both of them, but when I do a major download. its only using one cable.

Can someone tell me how this works?

Re: GA-EP45-UD3P dual lan question.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 04:03:41 am »
As I understand it, the dual Lan doesn't effect your download speeds, but when both LAN cables are connected to your router or switch, you can stream from one PC to another at twice the speed.  So, if you're tranferring files from one PC to another Pc, or streaming a movie from one PC to another, the dual LAN setup will go lightning (2x) fast.

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 06:02:19 pm »
As long as the other PC has the 2LAN shared connection as well, otherwise you will only get the speed the other PC can send to you at... :(

graysky

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 01:10:24 pm »
It's pure marketing hype.  You're ultimately limited to physical disk access speed.  In other words, the fastest you can hope to do is copying files from HDD1 to HDD2 (both internal).  I doubt that a good gigalan will be the bottle neck (single or dual).  The bottle neck is HDD access speed.