Official GIGABYTE Forum

Problem with GA-Z77X-UP5 TH(rev. 1.0)

Problem with GA-Z77X-UP5 TH(rev. 1.0)
« on: March 18, 2013, 10:36:29 pm »
Hello,

I'm trying to build a system around this motherboard.

Model Name : GA-Z77X-UP5 TH(rev. 1.0)
--------------------------
M/B Rev : 1.0
BIOS Ver : F11
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
VGA Brand : GIGABYTE      Model : Geforce GTX 660
CPU Brand : Intel      Model : Core i7-3770K      Speed : 3.50 GHz
Memory Brand : Corsair      Type : DDR3
Memory Size : 32 GB      Speed : 1600
Power Supply : 700 W

With the Core i7-3770K installed, and the computer is started (either via the case power switch or the switch on the motherboard), the computer starts going through an on for 2 seconds, then off for 5 seconds power cycle. This lasts until I turn off the power switch on the power supply.

With a Core i5-2400S installed, everything booted up fine, I was able to, as a test, boot a MemTestX86 CD and run a memory test on all 32 GB of RAM. Interestingly enough, when the system booted with the Core i5, the first thing it did was replace a corrupt main BIOS with the backup BIOS.

I put the Core i7-3770K back in, and I have the same power cycle issue, 2 seconds on, 5 seconds off.

Returned the processor and got a different one, same model, Core i7-3770K. Installed that processor and I have the same power cycle issue. 2 seconds on, 5 seconds off until I turn off the power supply.

I have tried this configuration with just the motherboard, processor/heat sink/16 GB of RAM and had the same issue. Nothing was plugged in but power, RAM and the processor.

The LED diagnostic lights start to come up right before the computer powers down, so they have not been able to provide any useful information.

I can enter the BIOS with the Core i5-2400S installed, I can not with the Core i7-3770K installed as the system shuts down before anything can happen.

Is the motherboard bad? What can I do to get this working? Or determine what is wrong?

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: Problem with GA-Z77X-UP5 TH(rev. 1.0)
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 12:20:34 am »
Did you look at the pins on the CPU socket to make sure one isn't bent. It should run that CPU with no problems.

One other thing try and jump the cmos to clear it and take the battery out. With the old CPU in. Unjump the cmos and put the battery back in.

Reboot the computer and set the bios to default and reboot shut down. Then try the new CPU and see what happens.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

ysw

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 02:33:29 am »
you also may try to update to latest bios f12e to check. and reinstall your memory  modules.

ex58

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 04:22:36 am »
you also may try to update to latest bios f12e to check. and reinstall your memory  modules.
Latest BIOS is F13a.

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 11:25:52 pm »
Latest Update.

Took the Core i7 out, put the Core i5 back in (which worked before, allowed me to enter the BIOS and run Memtest86).

But this time, it started beeping continuously and came up with a code of 51 on the diagnostic LEDs, which says "Memory initialization error occurs".

I pulled the power cord, the battery and two DIMMs, and pressed the CMOS reset button. Put the battery back in, plugged it in and same error. Swapped the DIMMs. Same error. Used the DIMMs in the other slots (I had 1 & 2 before, switched to 3 & 4 as numbered on the board and in the manual.) Same error. Switched the DIMMs. Same error. Used one DIMM. Same error. Went through all 4 DIMMs one at a time in slot 1. Same error every time.

What changed during all of this? I went from the Core i5 working, to trying a new Core i7 which didn't work, to back to the previously working Core i5. I did not change anything, but now it does not work at all.

Memory was not removed between running Memtest86 with the Core i5, replacing with a replacement Core i7 and then going back to the Core i5.

So, is the motherboard bad? Was it just marginal before and the Core i7 tripped things immediately while the Core i5 just sort of worked good enough?

Any more ideas other than returning the motherboard? I'd really like to know what is wrong before I start spending money on shipping things back on RMAs.

ysw

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 02:27:46 am »
it may be cpu or cpu socket problem.
memory contorller is built in in CPU.
can you swap another i7 cpu to check?

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 10:08:53 pm »
Final update.

dmdilks was on the right track. Two pins in the CPU socket are bent. I'm not going to try to straighten them out.

ysw - This was the second i7 I was trying in this system.

I imagine that if I had done more than just the memory test with the i5, other problems would have come up.

Thank you everyone.