Official GIGABYTE Forum

PC starting for a second then shutting off.

PC starting for a second then shutting off.
« on: April 21, 2013, 08:59:33 pm »
I have had my desktop PC for about 5 months. I started getting a beep about 3 months in. A short beep followed by a shutdown. It started when I was using it for a while but it has been getting progressively worse. I just bought a new cpu fan for it thinking my old one was bunk but I'm running 30 C. Attempting to narrow the possibilities down I took out my graphics card and started. Now it bursts on then shuts off. I can only do this once or twice before I would have to turn off the power supply before I could have it burst when I start it again.

** I want to note that I discovered my hard drive pins are pretty jacked up. Some of the plastic to hold the contacts has been chipped away.**

^Although I recognize this as a serious problem, I doubt this is the source of my problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Model: GA-Z77X-UD5H
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 10:13:49 pm by knobblez »

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: PC starting for a second then shutting off.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 10:13:14 pm »
If you could put up some spec's on your computer and have you tried another PSU?
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 11:04:20 pm »
no i have not tried another psu. i don't wanna end up replacing all the parts. ( i dont have extras )

ill do what i can to find a psu to borrow.

the new cpu fan i installed is the cool master x6 elite.
 i have two 8GB xms 3 sticks.
my psu is a corsair hx 1000w.
my video card is an geforce gtx550ti.
 i have a toshiba 500gb HD.
 my motherboard model is GA-Z77X-UD5H
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 11:05:47 pm by knobblez »

najiro

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 01:32:22 am »
Hmmmm.. your power supply is obviously more than enough to power the system. Corsair is a good brand too. How old is it? I actually know people who owns HX 1000w that had problems but only after 3-4 years of regular use. Some problems about voltage control they say. Anyway, you also guess that it's the hard drive that's doing it? If it restarts or shutdown even before loading the operating system, that should be something else. If you remove the hard drive and simply go to the bios page, does it load smoothly? if it does, perhaps it is your hard drive after all. :)
WordPress Site Builder - Content Writer - Economist - PC Hardware Enthusiast - Gamer - Foodie

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 01:56:29 am »
no i cannot access the bios either. maybe if i tried a couple times i could get in there for a minute before it shuts down...

najiro

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 02:56:19 am »
ohh that's bad... that's not a hard drive problem.. it is something else..
let's try troubleshooting the easiest parts first. start with the rams.
> use a single stick of ram and check each dimm slot just to see if you reach the bios. sometimes booting with a faulty ram can proceed, sometimes it doesn't.
> ram problems can either be faulty rams or bent cpu socket pins (I am currently using a semi-broken mobo with bent socket pins... it disabled 2 of my dimm slots but the motherboard is working fine)

You did say you heard beeps right? You won't be hearing beeps if it was the power supply because the motherboard doesn't address that. You would only hear beeps when the vcore is too low or too high but such cases only happen when you overclock your processor.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 02:57:45 am by najiro »
WordPress Site Builder - Content Writer - Economist - PC Hardware Enthusiast - Gamer - Foodie

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 03:24:34 am »
I did not overclock my pc. Also, i've tested the memory in the past. with 1 installed alone, then the other. both seem to work just fine. I need to mention that after I took out my graphics card for narrowing down the hardware it stopped beeping and just shutting down.

i just installed a fresh copy of windows. i dont even have drivers for it. im using the motherboard video.

najiro

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 04:29:56 am »
it should run just fine even without drivers. so that means it's only the motherboard and the PSU left to troubleshoot?
if you can conclude the PSU is fine then it's pretty clear it should be the motherboard. still under warranty right? that shouldn't be a problem :)