Official GIGABYTE Forum

Desktop computer shuts down frequently without warning

Re: Desktop computer shuts down frequently without warning
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2013, 12:45:39 am »
Thank you very much. I got to the point where it was reading it (It wasn't reading the flash drive for a while--only the non-existent floppy drive), but eventually it started reading it. Right now I have the FK version on the flash drive, but the Q-Flash utility is complaining about an incorrect file size. I think it's looking for 1MB when the file actually is 2MB. The download claims it's only 1MB but the size is twice that once finished. Not really sure what to make of it....

I guess I'm not the only person to have had this issue. Some research here on the forum turns up this thread: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=9005.0

I didn't think my mobo supported hyperthreading, but I"ll take another look and disable it if I find it. I'll try again after that.

Cheers,
Matt

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2013, 12:50:47 am »
Sorry for so many consecutive posts. I went through my BIOS and couldn't find anything about hyperthreading. However, I did notice that the previous owner set the "performance enhance" to "turbo", rather than "standard". If this didn't work right, could that cause the machine to just shut down? It would explain a lot, if that's the case!

Matt

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2013, 01:43:26 am »
It in the first one MB intelligent tweaker and it is under advanced CPU features then it will say CPU multi-threading
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2013, 02:07:52 am »
It in the first one MB intelligent tweaker and it is under advanced CPU features then it will say CPU multi-threading

Thank you. I found it and disabled it, but now it's shutting off instantly--it's not even giving me the chance to enter bios. It starts up, then after a second or so shuts down, and it keeps repeating the process.

EDIT: I have since cleared the CMOS so at least now it's back to the way it was. Is multi-threading different from hyper-threading?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 02:25:53 am by DerStrom8 »

dmdilks

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2013, 04:54:37 am »
If you look to the right it will tell what it is for when you are in there. There is one other thing and that it could be a ubuntu thing and not computer thing.

Have you tried to re-install ubuntu. because you said you ran it from the disk with no problems right.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2013, 01:25:38 pm »
I never installed ubuntu, only ran it from the live disc. And even then the machine still shut down.

I see that under "multi-threading" it says "enable for CPU hyper-threading" etc. Not very descriptive though. I plan to try again this afternoon when I get home from work.

By the way, I currently have windows 7 x64 installed on the HD. It seems to be working at this point, but before it would work for a little while, and then stop working for a while after that. I won't be able to tell you if changing the "performance enhance" setting actually helped or not for some time.

I still hope to update the BIOS though. That is if I can successfully disable hyper-threading. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks!

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2013, 03:51:23 am »
Sure enough, it died again today.

Tried disabling hyperthreading again and, just like before, it started shutting down immediately, rather than waiting until it actually started to boot. I'm beginning to think it's the motherboard--Rev 1.6 if I didn't say before--or perhaps incompatible RAM. None of my checks complained about the RAM though, but they're Corsair Vengeance DDR3, 4 4GB sticks, 1600MHz v. 5.12. Not sure if that helps or not.

Any more ideas?

Cheers,
Matt

dmdilks

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2013, 01:32:15 pm »
One last thing before you shoot the thing. Check all the heat sinks on the board to see if one is getting really hot. If one of the heat sinks is over heating than it could be the problem.

I know this has nothing to do with the problem but the MB will run the memory that way. But that board Supports 3 channel DDR3 you run it with 3 sticks or 6 sticks. You could try different memory too.

Here is very last thing that I can come up with is can you run ubuntu without the HDD. I know you said that you don't have another drive but does your friend have one just to try if you need it to run ubuntu with a drive.

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2013, 01:39:59 pm »
One last thing before you shoot the thing. Check all the heat sinks on the board to see if one is getting really hot. If one of the heat sinks is over heating than it could be the problem.

I know this has nothing to do with the problem but the MB will run the memory that way. But that board Supports 3 channel DDR3 you run it with 3 sticks or 6 sticks. You could try different memory too.

Here is very last thing that I can come up with is can you run ubuntu without the HDD. I know you said that you don't have another drive but does your friend have one just to try if you need it to run ubuntu with a drive.

Okay, I'll check the heat sinks as soon as I get home today.

I've tried all different configurations of RAM, it only has 4 slots so it won't take 6 sticks. Tried running with one, three, and all four. It doesn't seem to change anything. I've also tried a different type of RAM (different size, different company) and made no difference.

I ran ubuntu from the live CD with the hard drive completely disconnected and it still crashed. I'll see if I can borrow someone's drive though. I have a few friends who are computer nuts and might have a spare one lying around somewhere.

Thanks very much for the suggestions. I'll get back to you as soon as I learn something.

Regards,
Matt

dmdilks

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2013, 02:18:50 pm »
I went back and check and that is the only board in the x58 family that is like that only 4 slots.

« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2013, 08:32:21 pm »
Well the heat sinks all seem fine (warm, but not hot). Computer also crashed when I was starting up the ubuntu disc, so I can't install it on a different hard  drive. I did, however, manage to update the bios to a slightly older version than the latest, and it fixed the hyperthreading issue, but it still wouldn't let me update the bios to the newest version--still had the size complaint.

I don't know what else to try.

Matt

dmdilks

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2013, 02:21:59 pm »
The one last thing to try is re-install windows on it. Or try and get another hard drive. I still think it is the hard drive.

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2013, 05:33:57 pm »
The one last thing to try is re-install windows on it. Or try and get another hard drive. I still think it is the hard drive.

I definitely ruled out the hard drive when I disconnected it completely and ran the ubuntu live CD. It still crashed, without the hard drive even connected to the PC. That is definitely not the problem.

However, I did have a friend over here the other day. He proposed that it might be a damaged core. I went into the BIOS and only enabled core 0 and 1, 2 and 3 are disabled. I haven't seen it reset since last night when I disabled the other two cores, but only time will tell. I did try to bump it up to 3, but it shut down, so I'm beginning to wonder if it's core 2 that's the problem.

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2013, 12:43:11 am »
Nevermind, it's crashing with only the first two cores enabled. I think I'm going to have to give up and buy a new motherboard.

Thank you very much for all your advice though. You've been a huge help. Even though you weren't able to solve the issue, I've still learned a lot, so a +1 to you. I really appreciate your patience to stick with this topic  :)

Best wishes,
Matt

dmdilks

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2013, 01:50:17 am »
The hard part of this is yes the people here try to help. But some times it would be easier to be sitting in front of the computer when you are trying to help some body. The other thing is when you are limited on parts where you can't test them on a MB or in another computer too.