Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-MA74GM-S2 (rev 4.1) stuck on loading operating system screen!

Hi guys!I was wondering if anyone could help with this horrible snag I had for the past few days.

I've had my own 1st build for a few years now and this is the second time it has stayed stuck on the loading screen.The BIOS has already been flashed at this point so when I loaded optimized settings and restarted it went to the "loading operating system" screen and stayed....FOREVER!

Here is my Setup:

AMD phenom II X4
Patriot GSeries (2) 4 gb DDR2 sticks 1066MHz
4 SATA 2 ports (only using 2)
Seagate barracuda 7200 500gb HDD
CD/DVD Super Writemaster
ATI Radeon 5770 video card
CoolMaster elite 460 ATX 12V V2.31 PSU

Re: GA-MA74GM-S2 (rev 4.1) stuck on loading operating system screen!
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 05:22:28 pm »
*UPDATE*

Today I switched the sata2 cables,I have 4 ports.

sata2_0---->CD/DVD drive
sata2_1---->HDD
sata2_2
sata2_3

So I turned it on and went into BIOS and checked for changes, saved and exit.Once it went back into start up I got into the loading screen again and gives me the message "AMD Data Change...Update New Data to DMI".It STILL hangs up right there at the same screen, what am I doing wrong?

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 06:04:31 pm »
If you have reflashed the BIOS and loaded Optimized Defaults, have you checked that the SATA ports are configured correctly?

If you installed the OS in AHCI mode and the ports are set to IDE, or vice versa this could be the problem.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 06:05:11 pm by absic »
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 06:44:32 pm »
If you have reflashed the BIOS and loaded Optimized Defaults, have you checked that the SATA ports are configured correctly?

If you installed the OS in AHCI mode and the ports are set to IDE, or vice versa this could be the problem.

I actually had the OS installed in RAID mode  but when I had my first hang up my BIOS got switched to the backup BIOS and the OnChip SATA type got switched to "native IDE".After that the BIOS loaded quite a bit longer than before (more than 5-10 minutes)but loaded Windows 7 regardless of the time.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 06:50:51 pm »
What RAID setup did you use?

Have you tried resetting the SATA Ports to RAID or AHCI?
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 06:56:16 pm »
You know what? I have not tried that.I'll see if I can reset the sata ports to RAID now.I'll post the results in a few.

*Update*
It's saying I need a minimum of 2 drives to save my main one,I though the CD/DVD drive was one of them but it doesn't show on the list.I'll probably have to by a new drive.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 07:08:17 pm by MCmcGee »

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 07:29:19 pm »
If I have only one hard drive at the moment should I use RAID READY in RAID Mode when assigning the driver?

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 02:13:44 pm »
*UPDATE*

Today I assigned my only drive to RAID READY and proceeded to reboot.Past post but went to the loading screen with the error "DISK BOOT FAILURE,INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER"

So I put in Gigabyte utility disk and it loads XpressRecovery2 and it gives me the error IDE does not exist or all partitions are occupied.So I should probably make this a lesson learned and buy a new hard drive huh?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 02:21:59 pm by MCmcGee »

Vezina

• If it s not broken, fix it until it is !
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 02:44:30 pm »
Welcome to the new Seagate drives :)
Since the fusion with Maxtor they are simply horrid.
Make sure you avoid drives made in Thailand even if they are Hitachi ,WD or whatever.
Over & Out !

AMD FX (APU-s included) users should install - KB2645594 & KB2646060 under Windows 7

1.ASUS Sabertooth 990FX 2.0 + FX 6300 + H60
2.MSI A88X-G41 PC Mate + A8 5600K + Hyper TX 2
3.Gigabyte F2A75-D3H + A4 5300
4.ASUS AM1M-A + Athlon 5150

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 02:52:28 pm »
Welcome to the new Seagate drives :)
Since the fusion with Maxtor they are simply horrid.
Make sure you avoid drives made in Thailand even if they are Hitachi ,WD or whatever.

Seems like there's really no fixing it with that kind of talk lol. Thanks for the advice though,I appreciate it.

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 05:41:17 pm »
I was thinking of adding an old maxtor IDE drive to the board to see if that would boot up.

Is that a good idea?

*UPDATE*

I replaced the bad board with and the maxter IDE hard drive that came off my old compaq PC.It loaded and went to the windows XP load screen but went black and went back to POST.Then went to the screen that prompts you to load safe mode,safe mode with networking etc and after a few seconds it starts to loop like that.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 06:37:20 pm by MCmcGee »

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 04:40:17 pm »
*UPDATE*
WELL...That maxtor ide drive idea didn't work too well so I put the hard drive back and ran into a Disk boot failure, so I  was advised to use a windows 7 iso to burn to a DVD and use for re-installing(not that I need to re-install windows 7).
Things seem to be working fine now as if nothing happened.I used the start up repair option to find out what the issue was and it was a MBR failure, so I had it repaired and rebooted the system.The system went through post and booted normally to windows 7.