Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-Z77MX-D3H Can't access BIOS (black screen)

GA-Z77MX-D3H Can't access BIOS (black screen)
« on: March 29, 2013, 06:34:34 pm »
Hey guys,
Tried to overclock my 3570k guess the voltage was too much because now all I see is a black screen.
Tried to clear cmos but nothing. The pc turns on but the screen is black (no signal) and my mouse and keyboard wont light up.

Any ideas?

smashly

Re: GA-Z77MX-D3H Can't access BIOS (black screen)
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 09:29:35 am »
Hi,
Maybe try and force the Dual Bios to kick in, I did something similar to this myself on the same board as yours (mines rev 1.0).
May not work for you, but worth a shot.

1. Shut off the power supply using the switch on the back of the PSU, wait 10-15 seconds.
2. Press and hold the case Power On swtich, then while still holding turn on the power supply from the switch on the rear.
3. Still holding the case power on switch, the board will start, once it does release the case power on switch and shut off the power supply via the switch on the rear of the unit. (Do the latter two parts as quickly as you can once the board starts)
4. The board will shut down.
5. Turn the power supply back on using the switch on the rear of the unit.
6. Turn on the motherboard by pressing the case power on button.

Once the board starts this time you should see the Gigabyte splash screen, or POST page, then the Auto-Recovery from Dual BIOS will kick in. You will see a checksum error, and then recovery from BACKUP BIOS will begin. Once it is done reboot your machine and enter the BIOS and load optimized defaults then save/apply/reboot back to BIOS.

After Dual Bios restores the original bios, you might want to update your bios back to a current bios.
The backup bios on my board was F5 or F7 I think (can't be changed by the user), the bios that I was using before corrupting it was F12 (now days I'm on F15).
Once the backup restored I had to flash the newer bios back again.

How I ended up in similar predicament you described:
My problem was I had the voltage to low.
So as soon as the board tried to boot I had nothing but a black screen.
Funny part was I'd been increasing the voltage from really low a step at a time..
Fail.. clear cmos, try again..
All was fine for about the 1st 7 or so times while I was trying to find the lowest volts I could use, but then I ended up with a corrupted bios and clr cmos just didn't fix it.
Dual Bios didn't kick in on it's own either until I forced it.  

One thing about my board is in most cases when playing with oc, if an oc fails there is no mercy, in most cases I have clr cmos before I can even get into the bios again.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 09:46:19 am by smashly »

najiro

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 10:03:13 am »
that's weird.. bioses have a built-in fail-safe system that would alert you if the voltage is too high and would automatically shut itself down to prevent damages. No beeps? Have you tried using the on-board graphics? or in a graphics card?
WordPress Site Builder - Content Writer - Economist - PC Hardware Enthusiast - Gamer - Foodie

smashly

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 10:31:01 am »
that's weird.. bioses have a built-in fail-safe system that would alert you if the voltage is too high and would automatically shut itself down to prevent damages. No beeps? Have you tried using the on-board graphics? or in a graphics card?
The op and myself is not the first people with this model and similar GA-Z77 motherboard to have the failed boot after playing oc.
I've also had the same no post boot black screen problem when I tried F16b bios update.
Flashed bios successfully, reboot to a black screen and no post boot.
Once again, did the force Dual Bios to kick in (sometimes takes a couple of goes to get it to kick in), once recovered I flashed the F15 bios back and no problems.

When I was playing OC and corrupted my bios I got Black screen, no post beeps, could sorta hear a slight muffled click instead of a post beep.

As I said, my only resolve was to force Dual Bios to kick in
(sometimes takes a few goes, but after while you get the timing right it becomes 2nd nature when all else fails):

1. Shut off the power supply using the switch on the back of the PSU, wait 10-15 seconds.
2. Press and hold the case Power On swtich, then while still holding turn on the power supply from the switch on the rear.
3. Still holding the case power on switch, the board will start, once it does release the case power on switch and shut off the power supply via the switch on the rear of the unit. (Do the latter two parts as quickly as you can once the board starts)

Note on step 1:
I actually leave the motherboard on (fans spinning) and turn the PSU off and wait till the psu and motherboard has discharged the power (CPU fan stops spinning).
That's my equivalent of wait for 10-15 seconds.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 10:55:20 am by smashly »

najiro

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 01:06:39 pm »
The op and myself is not the first people with this model and similar GA-Z77 motherboard to have the failed boot after playing oc.
I've also had the same no post boot black screen problem when I tried F16b bios update.
Flashed bios successfully, reboot to a black screen and no post boot.
Once again, did the force Dual Bios to kick in (sometimes takes a couple of goes to get it to kick in), once recovered I flashed the F15 bios back and no problems.

When I was playing OC and corrupted my bios I got Black screen, no post beeps, could sorta hear a slight muffled click instead of a post beep.

As I said, my only resolve was to force Dual Bios to kick in
(sometimes takes a few goes, but after while you get the timing right it becomes 2nd nature when all else fails):

Note on step 1:
I actually leave the motherboard on (fans spinning) and turn the PSU off and wait till the psu and motherboard has discharged the power (CPU fan stops spinning).
That's my equivalent of wait for 10-15 seconds.

wow! that would really be annoying... don't you think the primary bios chip is damaged? I don't really have any knowledge how dual bios works but based on what I read from evga mobo users with triple bioses, they simply switch it to the other one when they busted the other.
WordPress Site Builder - Content Writer - Economist - PC Hardware Enthusiast - Gamer - Foodie

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 06:58:22 pm »
Yes it does have a switch that is right next to the front panel header.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

smashly

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 05:03:18 am »
Yes it does have a switch that is right next to the front panel header.
Your not referring to GA-Z77MX-D3H motherboard are you?
No switch on this motherboard for Dual Bios.

Got to look at GA-Z77MX-D3H is a budget motherboard and doesn't contain Mid/Upper end market features.
Don't get me wrong I'm absolutely happy with the board for the price.
When not tampering finding OC settings, the board is compact, stable and reliable 24/7 for me.

IMHO the only other better motherboard for similar price is my Asrock Extreme4, which also is a pleasure even when playing OC junkie.
Stable and reliable 24/7 for me as well.

Bottom line you get what you pay for.
If your lucky you get more then you expect sometimes. 

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 03:05:24 pm »
Sorry about that and you would think that Gigabyte would have put that switch on all of the Z77 boards. They do some strange things sometimes. 
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2013, 02:36:22 pm »
Big thanks to najiro,

What you said in your post worked fine for me GA-277-D3H
Thanks again got my board back from the dead