Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-990FXA-UD5 and 5 GPU for GPU Computing

a.nuti

GA-990FXA-UD5 and 5 GPU for GPU Computing
« on: April 10, 2013, 12:44:06 pm »
Hi all, I have a question about the motherboard GA-990FXA-UD5. I want to know if I can use 5 AMD GPU simultaneously to GPGPU calculations. I do not need Crossfire nor SLI, every card is an indipendent device.

The motherboard is able to use all slots simultaneously?

Thank You!

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: GA-990FXA-UD5 and 5 GPU for GPU Computing
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 07:57:47 am »
Well, this is the first time I have come across this kind of question and I have to say that I don't really know the answer.

Technically, I believe the motherboard should be able to handle 5 GPU's but you will have to make sure they are all single slot cards.
Power draw for the GPU's might be an issue, especially if they are not independently powered and you are relying on the slot to provide enough power, as the motherboard doesn't have an extra power slot for PCI.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

a.nuti

Re: GA-990FXA-UD5 and 5 GPU for GPU Computing
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 07:26:46 am »
Hello, that was just the answer I was looking for. All GPUs are all single-slot and are powered by auxiliary power supplies. Some motherboards have many slots, but are not able to use them all together and this was my fear.

Thanks again!