Official GIGABYTE Forum

BSOD when installing new memory in dual channel

BSOD when installing new memory in dual channel
« on: April 18, 2013, 04:55:51 pm »
I have a Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3 motherboard bought some time ago. Until now it worked fine and had no trouble. Moving to Win 7 64 bit proved to be a bitter and excruciating experience for me so far. I did that wanting to take advantage of 4GB RAM in games. The motherboard have 4 slots in dual channel installed. I had two modules of 1GB Kingmax and two modules (Kingmax , too) of 512MB. They worked fine all four in dual channel mode. After that I bought a 2GB Kingmax module. It worked fine with the other two modules of 1  GB until I switched to Win 7 64 bit edition. No matter how I changed the slots I got BSOD and the pc it keeps restarting because of that. I thought a little about the matter and I decided to buy two DDR2 Corsair modules of 2Gb each. I did that, but they won't work in dual or single channel at all. The pc gets into a BOSD loop, restarting itself. I am desperate and I almost lost my temper and I was seconds of throwing my pc out of the window and myself with it. I did some readings about the matter and some guys said that in this case , to make them work in dual channel, you have to tweak the voltage and those parameters in BIOS. I am not expert so I wind up here asking for guidance. Please tell me exactly what parameters should I change in BIOS and to what values to make those 800 Mhz DDR2 2x2GB Corsaire work. Thank you in advance.

najiro

Re: BSOD when installing new memory in dual channel
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 04:09:19 am »
what's the exact model of the new rams you are using? It could be that the rams needed more voltage and the motherboard is supplying a bit less. Some rams use 1.65v while others use 1.5v.. if a 1.65v is only receiving 1.5v, then you will indeed have problems so you need to tweak the voltage at the bios. Did you check the memory support list if the new rams and enlisted?
http://download.gigabyte.asia/FileList/Memory/motherboard_memory_ga-ep35-ds3_2.1.pdf
WordPress Site Builder - Content Writer - Economist - PC Hardware Enthusiast - Gamer - Foodie

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 06:40:54 am »
what's the exact model of the new rams you are using? It could be that the rams needed more voltage and the motherboard is supplying a bit less. Some rams use 1.65v while others use 1.5v.. if a 1.65v is only receiving 1.5v, then you will indeed have problems so you need to tweak the voltage at the bios. Did you check the memory support list if the new rams and enlisted?
http://download.gigabyte.asia/FileList/Memory/motherboard_memory_ga-ep35-ds3_2.1.pdf

I looked to the thread you gave. The model is there BUT...the 1GB type one. Mines have 2GB each. The model is this:
http://www.corsair.com/en/memory-by-product-family/xms-classic/twin2x4096-6400c5c.html
and this is the page of them from the virtual  shop where I bought them:
http://www.emag.ro/kit-memorie-corsair-4gb-2-x-2048mb-ddr2-800mhz-xms2-twin2x4096-6400c5c/pd/ETWG3BBBM/?ref=list_p1_l2

XMS2 — 4GB Dual Channel DDR2 Memory Kit (TWIN2X4096-6400C5C)
    •Tested Latency: 5-5-5-18 •Memory Type: DDR2 •Speed Rating: PC2-6400 (800MHz)
The default voltage is written on the modules , is 1.8 V and the version is 8.6, written on the modules , too.

So, if I understood correctly, if this type of module is not listed there, I must modify the BIOS correspondend\t parametres , right ? Thing is , as I stated above, I don't know how, so I need guidance , what parameters I must change and what would be their new values. Thank you and I wait for reply.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 06:54:52 am by prince_vlad »

najiro

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 08:40:45 am »
woah 1.8v. didn't know older ram modules use as much voltage. sadly, I don't know how to tweak rams of older bios.. you may need to call gigabyte admins here. but basically you need to match the voltage and latency of the rams and what the motherboard if configured.
WordPress Site Builder - Content Writer - Economist - PC Hardware Enthusiast - Gamer - Foodie

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 09:00:29 am »
woah 1.8v. didn't know older ram modules use as much voltage. sadly, I don't know how to tweak rams of older bios.. you may need to call gigabyte admins here. but basically you need to match the voltage and latency of the rams and what the motherboard if configured.

How do I call assistance from the Gigabyte admins ? Should I wait to..."discover" my thread or is an email address I can write to ?

najiro

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 09:52:21 am »
Pm them I guess.. or yeah.. wait for them to notice the thread.