Official GIGABYTE Forum

Z77X-UD5H USB3 Problem

XysteR

Z77X-UD5H USB3 Problem
« on: April 22, 2013, 02:54:44 am »
If I connect a usb device to one of the usb3 ports in the rear my computer and switch on the computer it won't post. If I switch off the power, remove the usb device it'll post and boot, but I have noticed that I sometimes have to switch off power at the wall for a minute or two first. The usb device is working fine with no defect. Please advise

ysw

Re: Z77X-UD5H USB3 Problem
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 03:55:03 am »
how about rear USB2.0 port?
you may check it without chasiss.

hms

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 12:45:25 pm »
What version of BiOS are you running with it? If not latest then update to f15r , and check the via-labs site for VL810 firmware update.

Is it any device or just some specific ?

XysteR

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 08:43:57 pm »
I'm having quite a lot of problems it seems. I am now running the latest F15q beta bios now as I updated it from F14 (mainboard version V1.1) I still seem to have a problem, if I connect my external dvd drive to a rear i/o USB3 slot, it'll work fine in windows then if I reboot the computer and leave the dvd drive plugged in it causes this display problem below:

I have a ATI 5970 gfx card which worked fine in my old mainboard. Now since upgrading to this mainboard and 3770k cpu i'm having a real nightmare trying to get it all working correctly. I run an eyefinity setup, and have 2 DVI connections to 2 of my screens from my 5970, then the mini display port from my 5970 goes to my 3rd screen. Even if I set up my primary gpu to PEG in the bios and disable the onboard gpu it will not display on my screens. It forces me to reset the bios and I have to go through the whole process again. kind of stuck in a loop. It will also reset my bios setting from PEG to auto and re-enable the onboard gpu by itself. Frustrating is not the word here lol.   

hms

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 02:16:59 am »
When you get to windows or what ever os you run, check if gfx card is sharing IRQ with something ? Aren't the back mobo i/o usb ports intels ? Does the dvd work from usb2 ? It doesn't need 3 speeds ?

XysteR

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 01:31:49 pm »
No irq conflicts. the dvd will work in any port when windows actually boots, the problems arrised for me when I left it in a usb3 port and rebooted the computer. Putting the usb DVD drive in either usb2 or usb3 slots should make no difference as a 3.0 port should downgrade to a usb2.0 device without problems.

The plot thickens...  I came to the end of my tether trying to get things working properly on the latest beta bios. As a last resort I thought I would shut down the machine, turn the power off completely and throw the bios switch over to the left, as I assumed it would be the bios revision that shipped with the board - Right enough it was F14. So, I start setting everything up in this backup bios and all seems to be much better now?!? weird or what?... That was last night - It was rebooting and working fine. So I shut the computer down feeling I was getting somewhere and feeling a bit better that it's starting to work. I always switch off the power at the wall so I did so before going to bed.... This morning I thought i'd see how it is. I switched on the power at the wall, turned on my monitors then pressed the power button. It powered up but no lights lit up on my razer keyboard / mouse, and the monitors stayed in standby mode. I hit the power button once and the machine instantly turned off. I pressed the power button again and it switched on, keyboard/mouse lights lit up and bios screen appeared and booted into windows with no problems. Now i'm left with the computer partly working (or working better than ever) but i'm scared to connect anything to the USB3 ports now incase they screw me up, and put me back to the beginning of this nightmare again.

hms

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 02:43:49 pm »
There's two usb ports there , ones are intels based on the z77 chipset usb2 usb3 , then theres VIA VL810 usb3 , wich you can get updated firmware from via-labs website. Did you try the USB2 RED ports for the hanging DVD ? The bug can be incompitibility with your dvd and usb 3 ports ? Is the dvd with latest firmware ?

XysteR

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 09:58:08 pm »
hms, Thank you for taking the time to reply. I'm still scared to even connect anything to the usb 3 ports for fear of them messing things up again. I also only have things plugged into usb 2 ports. I have now reverted both bios' to version F14 as the later beta bios' wouldn't hold/save changes made to the bios. I now have the machine slightly stable - The only problem I have at the minute, is if I power the machine up having left it for a while, it'll power up, do nothing, no signal to monitors, it just hangs there. I have to press the power button briefly and it will shut down and reboot itself then work correctly. further restarts work fine. Yet when I shut it down for the night, the next day I power it up and it'll hang with the standby on the monitors. Like I said, one touch of the power button and it'll shut itself down and restart and work properly? Its almost like the bios won't let my video card send signal to my monitors. I've only just bought this mainboard and it should work out of the box

Gigabyte, where are you - Not just me, I'm not seeing anyone getting help here?

hms

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2013, 06:46:51 pm »
Google for the F15r , it shouldn't have that save bug. It's not listed in gb site , I don't know why ?? @_@

And give it a try, that's what I'm running, just flash it to both roms and do clear CMOS.

GB must be busy skinning the CPU-Z , well from now on you can vote with your wallet. Also Z87 is prolly taking they're time now.

ysw

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2013, 03:05:21 am »
would you like to try to remove m/b out from the chassis to check this problem?
maybe somewhere short to cause the problem.