Official GIGABYTE Forum

xp pro 64 vs win 7 pro 64

timmib

xp pro 64 vs win 7 pro 64
« on: May 10, 2013, 07:39:23 pm »
Greetings,

While fiddling around and letting the new build settle in (spec's in sig w xp pro 32 sp3) I started to prep my self for installing win 7.  I use the system for editting large wave files and transcoding video.  The disk access and memory access/speed tests I've seen do not indicate that win 7 provides very much improvement.  So the only practical purpose of upgrading is the memory size, it seems to me.  I found a copy of xp pro 64 that I'd forgotten about.  Now I'm wondering if the hassle of win 7 is worth it.

Has anyone been running xp pro 64 and what has been your experience?

TIA

Kim
ga-970a-ud3 v3, phenom II x4 965
16 gb Kingston memory
gv-n210sl-1gi (geforce 210)

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: xp pro 64 vs win 7 pro 64
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 08:15:14 pm »
Hi there,

From personal experience I would advise you to bite the bullet and go Windows 7 64 bit.

Of course, it is a long time since I played with (swore at really) XP 64 bit, so things may have improved, but when I tried it, I found that a lot of hardware and software just didn't work properly. I seemed to spend a lot of time trying to resolve glitches and other annoying issues and found I was producing less because of them.

Windows 7 64 bit is totally different and I had no issues with any hardware/software running in this OS.

I am now running Windows 8 Pro 64 bit and despite all the negative press I have found that the actual OS (once you get past the startup interface) is really solid. I have abused the system in many ways and have not yet been able to make the system fall over, except when I have done something really stupid. Even then, it has managed to recover itself, with very little input from me and I have nothing but praise for the way it handles everything I have thrown at it.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

timmib

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 09:34:13 pm »
Greetings,

I do remember now that when I got a copy of xp 64 there were few drivers around except if you could make a vista set work.  Too, MS was haunting everyone with the demise of xp - 4 years ago!  Pretty sure that's why I never played with it.  Didn't need the extended memory at the time.  But as I was setting up the current build all of the majors seemed to have xp pro 64 drivers.

A question about 7 pro 64: how difficult is it to join it to my home workgroup, which I run without passwords?  Reading seems to indicate experiences doing this are all over the lot.

Thanks for sharing your experience.  I know you're probably right ... and if I get really fed up with 7 I can alway try xp!  <grin>

Be well,

Kim

16 gb Kingston memory

Vezina

• If it s not broken, fix it until it is !
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 09:34:50 pm »
Greetings,

While fiddling around and letting the new build settle in (spec's in sig w xp pro 32 sp3) I started to prep my self for installing win 7.  I use the system for editting large wave files and transcoding video.  The disk access and memory access/speed tests I've seen do not indicate that win 7 provides very much improvement.  So the only practical purpose of upgrading is the memory size, it seems to me.  I found a copy of xp pro 64 that I'd forgotten about.  Now I'm wondering if the hassle of win 7 is worth it.

Has anyone been running xp pro 64 and what has been your experience?

TIA

Kim

There is no hassle with Windows 7 x64.
Opposed to XP most of the drivers will be installed out of the box and run properly.

XP on the other hand will loose support in 10 months.

W7 x64 is a good operating system.

Better than W8  i would say :)
Over & Out !

AMD FX (APU-s included) users should install - KB2645594 & KB2646060 under Windows 7

1.ASUS Sabertooth 990FX 2.0 + FX 6300 + H60
2.MSI A88X-G41 PC Mate + A8 5600K + Hyper TX 2
3.Gigabyte F2A75-D3H + A4 5300
4.ASUS AM1M-A + Athlon 5150

timmib

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 09:49:08 pm »
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback.  Just thought I'd ask here before starting the upgrade process.

Be well,

Kim
16 gb Kingston memory

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 06:31:12 am »
how difficult is it to join it to my home workgroup, which I run without passwords?

I have never had a problem with the Homegroup setup on my network. But all my PC's are running either Windows 7 or Windows 8.

I also build PC's for others and I usually connect to the internet through the network hub with these PC's to activate and update software before handing the rigs over and when I connect with a Windows 7/8 PC they ask some questions about what kind of network I am using, but again, I have never had any issues here either as I just ignore this part of the setup process.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.