Official GIGABYTE Forum

Please help with freezing OS

Please help with freezing OS
« on: February 01, 2010, 06:06:12 am »
Hello everyone and thank you in advance for your help. I'm having a problem with my computer freezing about every 10 minutes. At first I thought the problem was a bad installation, but after lots playing I did find out that it is an issue with the onboard lan. If I disable the lan in bios, everything works fine. As soon as it's enabled my system freezes both in Vista and Ubuntu. I'm running the F2 mobo bios and I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling my lan drivers a few times, only enabling 1 connection both to no avail. If anyone can offer any advice, I'd appreciate it. My rig specs are:

MOBO - GIGABYTE GA-790FXTA-UD5
CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 965 125 watt
RAM – 4GB Mushkin DDR3 1600
GPU - Sapphire 5850 
HD - SAMSUNG EcoGreen F2 HD154UI 1.5TB
PSU - CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W 
OS - Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit, Ubuntu 9.10

nicolatesla

• what, the rabbit?
Re: Please help with freezing OS
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 05:48:44 pm »
Hello everyone and thank you in advance for your help. I'm having a problem with my computer freezing about every 10 minutes. At first I thought the problem was a bad installation, but after lots playing I did find out that it is an issue with the onboard lan. If I disable the lan in bios, everything works fine. As soon as it's enabled my system freezes both in Vista and Ubuntu. I'm running the F2 mobo bios and I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling my lan drivers a few times, only enabling 1 connection both to no avail. If anyone can offer any advice, I'd appreciate it. My rig specs are:

MOBO - GIGABYTE GA-790FXTA-UD5
CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 965 125 watt
RAM – 4GB Mushkin DDR3 1600
GPU - Sapphire 5850 
HD - SAMSUNG EcoGreen F2 HD154UI 1.5TB
PSU - CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W 
OS - Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit, Ubuntu 9.10

I have not had similar problems with my UD5....BUT when people have these problems, we go and buy a separate LAN card, plug it into a PCI slot, and it cures the problem, a $25 fix that works. The onboard LAN is left disabled.
Probably a bug in the windows 64 operating system which microsoft has not admitted or corrected.
It could be a defect in the motherboard or bios, but Gigabyte has been reliable, and I have not seen this reported before (I have read just about all the reported problems on this board, and have not seen a similar complaint)
So until more software / bios updates are available, the PCI LAN card is a pretty good work-around.
Giga GA-MA790FXT-UD5P, Phenom II 945 X4, Gskill 4GB, Coolermaster, Sapphire HD4870, Velociraptor HDD, 7 fans, Antec 550+, Acer 24" LCD. "I tried Asus, then I bought a real motherboard."

Re: Please help with freezing OS
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 06:26:08 pm »
That would be an option, but I purchased this mobo, because I'll be using it as a server and want the backup lan in case one goes down. I know I could obviously buy 2 PCI's, but that would defeat the purpose of me having it onboard :) The freeze does happen in both Windows and Ubuntu which leads me to believe it's a bad mobo but I wanted to get other's thoughts to see if there were an issue anyone else had run into.