Official GIGABYTE Forum

Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 won't boot to bios after @Bios update

Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 won't boot to bios after @Bios update
« on: May 23, 2013, 08:38:08 am »
Just received a new gaming rig, super excited about it  So let me start this by saying that after reading many forums trying to solve the problem, I can see I created on for myself by using the @BIOS tool. Now to try and fix the issue.

Here are the specs:

• Intel® Core™ i7 3930K Processor (6x 3.20GHz/12MB L3 Cache) - Intel Core i7 3930K
  • Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 -- 4x PCI-E 2.0 x16
  • 750 Watt - Corsair CMPSU-750TXV2
  • 128 GB ADATA SX900 SSD - Dual 128GB Drives (128GB Capacity) - RAID 1 Data Security
  • 24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive
  • 8 GB [2 GB X4] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - Corsair
  • AMD Radeon HD 6450 - 1GB

Everything was working great out of the box (I know, I shouldn't have updated the BIOS), even was able to play a couple of rounds of BF3. As I was installing the software from the Gigabyte site, I opened @BIOS and saw that it had new bios version available (can't remember what version it installed). The @BIOS program said everything installed correctly, and it restarted my computer. Upon the restart, the computer would light up (all fans start, etc.), but nothing would come up on the screen. It would never boot into the BIOS.

So I thought something could be wrong with the video card, found an old one and swapped it out, but still same issue. I move the RAM from slots 1 and 3 to 5 and 7, nothing.  Then I removed the battery for 10 minutes, put it back in and restarted, still wouldn't boot to bios. Then I shorted the CMOS, still nothing. Funny thing is, the USB keyboard I have attached doesn't seem to light up at all either.

Can anyone help with how I can get my new computer to boot again? I have a couple of things to try, but would like to get some feedback on what is worth trying.

• Add a single stick of 4GB RAM to one (or more) of the slots to see what happens.
  • I have a MONO speaker I can add, to listen for beeps. What am I listening for from a diagnostic perspective (couldn't find anything online that explained it).
  • Manually flash the BIOS somehow without being able to get into the BIOS screen.
  • Some other form of black magic to fix the issue?

Thanks in advance for the help, and hopefully can get this fixed shortly.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 08:41:21 am by themonkey40 »

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 won't boot to bios after @Bios update
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 01:37:43 pm »
When I do a bios update I let the computer shut down. At that point I'll turn off the power and than clear the cmos and pull the battery.

Here is something that might help and read the whole thread.

http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/50152-ga-z68xp-ud3-bios-recovery-failed.html
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 05:38:56 pm »
So I tried shorting the 5 & 6 pin. It made the mobo startup for a second, then shutdown. I let this cycle a couple of times, but nothing changed after I removed the short. Was I doing this correctly? Seemed to be exactly what the post you referenced said to do.

dmdilks

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 07:25:37 pm »
Did try this one:

Try this. Make sure to follow directions carefully and exactly. If it does not work the first time try it again.

BIOS Recover Method Via Manually Invoking BACKUP BIOS Auto-Recovery
Using Power Supply - On/Off Switch

It is possible to make the BIOS Auto-Recovery kick in (Dual BIOS) and re-flash the MAIN BIOS with the contents of the BACKUP BIOS.

This is a simple and easy method for anyone to try before having to resort to other more difficult methods, or a RMA.

1. Shut off the power supply using the switch on the back of the PSU, wait 10-15 seconds.
2. Press and hold the case Power On swtich, then while still holding turn on the power supply from the switch on the rear.
3. Still holding the case power on switch, the board will start, once it does release the case power on switch and shut off the power supply via the switch on the read of the unit. (Do the latter two parts as quickly as you can once the board starts)
4. The board will shut down.
5. Turn the power supply back on using the switch on the rear of the unit.
6. Turn on the motherboard by pressing the case power on button.

Once the board starts this time you should see the Gigabyte splash screen, or POST page, then the Auto-Recovery from Dual BIOS will kick in. You will see a checksum error, and then recovery from BACKUP BIOS will begin. Once it is done reboot your machine and enter the BIOS and load optimized defaults then save/apply/reboot back to BIOS.

Now you are done, and will be using whatever BIOS was in your BACKUP BIOS, From there you can attempt whatever you were previously trying, or update your BIOS to the latest version.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 07:37:14 pm »
I have tried that method, but all RAM, SSDs were plugged into the motherboard. Should I try it again with those items removed? Will it make a difference?

dmdilks

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 08:38:59 pm »
I don't know if it make a difference. I have never ran into a problem like this. I'm only gettting stuff from the internet.

The only thing you can do is try it. The other thing if it doesn't work try taking out the battery and let it sit for a couple of hours with the cmos jump out.

If nothing works you will have to RMA the board. Or call Gigabyte and talk to them to see if they have away to get the backup bios to work.

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 12:11:04 am »
Thanks for the effort. It is really frustrating that a tool from the manufacturer can mess up their own product so bad. @BIOS shouldn't cause so many issues, since everything was conducted by the program. Everything from which BIOS to select, to the entire process was automated. I would expect better results, and only expect this type of issue to arise when an individual does this on their own using Qflash or something.

This is going to keep me from purchasing a Gigabyte board in the future, and definitely won't suggest to others, as I wouldn't want them to experience the same bad engineering.

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 12:43:47 am »
I have literally tried every trick in the book. Special power cycles, removing battery for 12 hours, clearing CMOS, shorting pins 4 and 7 on the m BIOS chip, shorting pins 5 and 6 on the m BIOS chip, removing all components except memory, CPU and mobo. Tried cycling through different DDR3 Dim slots with single stick of RAM. Nothing is working and I am going to return the board since it is only been 3 days since I have owned it. This is the worst experience to have with Gigabyte off the bat. How could their own software mess things up this bad. Get this fixed Gigabyte, or you will continue to loose customers to Asus and others who don't have this issue.

dmdilks

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 03:55:23 am »
This is going to keep me from purchasing a Gigabyte board in the future, and definitely won't suggest to others, as I wouldn't want them to experience the same bad engineering.

90% of my boards are Gigabyte's. I have bought about 25 to 30 Gigabyte boards and have had only one that I had to RMA.

Yes you had a problem right of the gate. Plus any time you update the bios you are taking a chance something will go wrong.

I went back and re-read your 1st post and I don't no if this help but have you tried a ps2 keyboard. Try hitting F8 when booting.

I'm old school and I will not update a bios from windows. I updated my board X79-UP4 because I was getting the wrong reading in the bios for the CPU temp.

Plus here is a few step on updating a X79 board.

http://www.gigabyte.com/MicroSite/121/tech_a_bios.htm

Fatman

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2013, 01:32:38 am »
Let us know how you got on..........I would say you have had a bad flash on the Bios and possibly corrupted the main Bios.

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2014, 09:20:11 pm »
hi anyone  i have exactly this problem i have X79-UP4  and i update Bios whit @Bios and then restart i cann't go to boot and just show me black screen with mouse pointer     Anyone Can Help me please?????????????
i test same Method but Anything is work
I Have X79-UD5 Before X79-UP4 , but due to a Lan malfunction with my motherboard Guarantee replaced  X79-UP4  Now i Hate Gigabyte very bad