Official GIGABYTE Forum

Worried about northbridge on a GA-EX58-UD3R

Worried about northbridge on a GA-EX58-UD3R
« on: February 03, 2010, 07:21:43 pm »
Hello,
   I have just bought my first ever Gigabyte motherboard and am very pleased with it so far..I do however have an issue with the temperatures on my i7 920 cpu using the stock fan.As it is idling on average at 36-38c and temps raise above 60c under full load,it is impossible to overclock.I have therefore bought a corsair  H50 water cooler to fit in my Antec 900 case.The questions  i have are ,does the cpu fan help cool the northbride or is it totally passively cooled? and if the cpu fan does help to cool the northbridge would i have have to buy cooling fans for it? Does Gigabyte do such things??..All help would be much appreciated...cheers :)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 07:25:06 pm by MadSlob »

Re: Worried about northbridge on a GA-EX58-UD3R
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 04:27:41 pm »
CPU fan is as it says - the CPU fan. Not a NB fan. It cools only the CPU.

The NB cooler is passive, and there for relies on air flowing through the case to keep it cool.

i7's run hot, end of. They need ALOT more cooling than the 775's. But they're also designed to run fine at those higher temperatures. (don't even ask me about mine at 4.6Ghz - they peak near 90c after an all night 100% load session)

~Bex

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 06:41:42 pm »
thanks for your reply...Yes i realise what the cpu fan is for .I have a friend whose Asus board uses" active cooling" via the cpu fan  to bring down the temps on his northbridge(something i had no idea about until last night after some research)and as he now owns an H50 water cooling unit he has been forced to add some small fans to his northbridge to replace the peripherial job his cpu fan  was doing in helping to keep the northbridge cool.
 I am relieved to hear that this board i have uses passive cooling for the northbridge.I should experinece a drop in northbridge temperature as well i suspect as a result of this.
 The temperatures i was reading were from the cores themselves and i am lead to believe that when intel quote the maximun temperature for a cpu they are not talking about the temp on the cores so i believe i have leeway but hell the cooler the better yes!?!
  And finally...thast some wicked overclock you have there m8!! I may well come back to you for some OC advice...thanks for your time ;D

gilgamesh

• overclockerstech
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 03:59:28 pm »
CPU fan is as it says - the CPU fan. Not a NB fan. It cools only the CPU.

The NB cooler is passive, and there for relies on air flowing through the case to keep it cool.

i7's run hot, end of. They need ALOT more cooling than the 775's. But they're also designed to run fine at those higher temperatures. (don't even ask me about mine at 4.6Ghz - they peak near 90c after an all night 100% load session)

~Bex

I am ever so sorry mate and i hate to contridict you:(

CPU cooling fans do INDEED help to cool the northbridge block1 Though they are designed to cool the cpu only-yes they DO however provide airflow around that area ofthe board and as such do help to cool the MCH as a by-product as well as the PWM's motherboard designers have often taken advantage of this )

gilgamesh

www.overclockerstech.com , for the best in PC water cooling and hardware news

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 09:05:29 pm »

CPU cooling fans do INDEED help to cool the northbridge block1 Though they are designed to cool the cpu only-yes they DO however provide airflow around that area ofthe board and as such do help to cool the MCH as a by-product as well as the PWM's motherboard designers have often taken advantage of this )

gilgamesh

The memory controller is inside of the CPU on all current Intel CPUs.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 09:14:23 pm by PeterStoba »

gilgamesh

• overclockerstech
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 09:09:18 am »

gilgamesh

The memory controller is inside of the CPU on all current Intel CPUs.

what has this to do with the memory controller? We were speaking about the CPU HSF providing airflow to the northbridge
www.overclockerstech.com , for the best in PC water cooling and hardware news