Official GIGABYTE Forum

Poll

Why won't my new P67A-UD3P-B3 mobo boot into BIOS?

Faulty MOBO
0 (0%)
Unsupported processor
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

P67A-UD3P-B3 won't boot to BIOS

P67A-UD3P-B3 won't boot to BIOS
« on: April 20, 2013, 11:28:11 am »
Hi,
     This is my first post so hopefully I'll get all the relevant details right.
I've just received a replacement P67A-UD3P-B3 motherboard after I sent the first one back due to not being able to boot into the BIOS and .......
This one does exactly same.
What happens is that the computer starts and gets us to the Gigabyte splash screen where we should be able to select Del to enter the bios but cannot enter a command.
So far I've tried:-
1) A PS/2 keyboard.
2) 2 different USB keyboards, both of which work on another computer - I could see that no power seemed to be getting to the keyboard as the num lock light wasn't lit but we have plugged in another USB device and that gets power.
3) Swopped the graphics card (Nvidia Geforce GTS450) between slots - in one slot the card isn't recognised.
4) Swopped the RAM between slots - in all slots the computer starts and gets to the splash screen - Ram is a single 8Gb stick of DDR3
5) Disconnected any non essential items in case too much power was being drawn - Power supply = 750w
6) Started selecting Del as soon as the computer starts instead of waiting for the splash screen
7) Left the battery out overnight to reset the CMOS
8) Tried starting with a) No HDD b) The OS HDD c) 2 HDD's daisy chained

Do I have another faulty motherboard? Or is the problem that the motherboard can't handle the i5-3570K processor (the techspecs seem to indicate it does)? Or am I missing something so obvious I'll be slapping myself stupid for weeks?
Any advice gratefully received.
Thanks
Colbolt

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: P67A-UD3P-B3 won't boot to BIOS
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 12:10:45 pm »
Hi there,

the fact that you are getting the splash screen would seem to indicate the problem is not with the CPU as I would expect no life if the CPU were not supported.

I am surprised that a PS/2 keyboard isn't being recognised and that two USB keyboards are also failing to register.
Which USB ports have you tried connecting the keyboards to? Make sure it is one of the USB2 ports (the black ones) and not a USB3 port (blue).
Are you connecting the USB keyboards directly to the back panel of the motherboard? (silly question but sometimes overlooked.)
Have you tried pressing the "End" key to see if this keystroke registers? If it does it should take you to the QFlash Utility.

If you have mounted the motherboard into a PC case, try removing it and testing it on a cardboard box. I have come across issues where the motherboard hasn't been mounted correctly against the backplate which has caused similar problems.

When the PC starts, does it show the BIOS version that it is running? If yes, which version is it?

Was this replacement Motherboard from Gigabyte or the retailer?
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 01:16:24 pm »
Hi,
    I've just received a replacement P67A-UD3P-B3 motherboard after I sent the first one back due to not being able to boot into the BIOS and .......
This one does exactly same.

If you have another memory brand try that. I have seen where a computer will to that point. But you couldn't do anything.   
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 01:30:25 pm »
Hi Absic,
              Thanks for the suggestions.
I've tried the mobo out of the case with the same result.
Hitting 'End' doesn't take us to the QFlash Utility and I don't see any BIOS version displayed before the splash screen although I do briefly see some Nvidia info and the keyboard is using the black usb ports.
The mobo was purchased from a retailer through Amazon not direct from Gigabyte.

Do you think it could be the Graphic's card? This mobo is a replacement as mentioned in the original post and with the original mobo I did try a basic graphics card from work with the same result so maybe not. One other thing we tried with the original was different RAM (Just spotted dmdilks suggestion so I'll give that another go with this mobo)

Can't help feeling I'm missing something obvious.

Thanks again
Colbolt

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 01:51:52 pm »
The thing about this is that the two boards are doing the same thing.

I'm not saying they did this but could it be that they sent you back the same board by mistake.

I know most people don't think about this but did write down the serial # before you sent back.

Plus one other thing to try is don't connect the mouse & keyboards to see if it pass that screen.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 03:32:12 pm »
Hi dmdilks,
                 Just tried without a keyboard and same result I'm afraid. I think I'll have to send the mobo back.
It had crossed my mind that perhaps it was the same board albeit re-sealed but I didn't take note of the S/N, will be this time though.

Thanks to you and Absic for the tips, if you do think of anything else please post.

Colbolt

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 07:10:38 pm »
Hi,
    Thought I'd update the post as to what happened when I sent the mobo back to the supplier with our CPU and RAM.

They finally responded to say that there was no problem with the mobo and it was a faulty CPU.
Fortunately the supplier of the CPU was good enough to replace the CPU despite the returns period having long expired and, having just received the replacement we've inserted the new CPU and .....

we don't even get to the BIOS screen now

Have tried all the basics of moving the RAM, Graphics card, booting with no HDD attached, the OS HDD attached .....

Will be sending the mobo back and asking for the money and buying a replacement.

All the best
Colbolt