Official GIGABYTE Forum

G-MA78GPM-DS2h w/AMD ATHLON 64 2x2 260 Overclocked to death..CPU or Mobo?

On the Image attached is the setup I have for my PC, What happened was that I felt comfortable with using the AOD software for overclocking my setup and decided to try and increase the clock speeds by adjusting the CPU voltage in the BIOS. I pushed them up from 1.4, to 1.575 and rebooted, no problem yet. Went back into BIOS and set it up to 1.6, booted PC and then set my CPU Core speeds up from 3.8 to 4.0 GHZ applied change and pc froze with Buzzing noise. I powered off, reset the CMOS just in case, restarted the PC...I get a single beep at start up which lasts about 2-3 seconds and then is repeated 7-10 seconds later over and over again, no video, though all fans work.

I have disassembled the PC removing components: Video card then reboot same as described above. Then removing Ram one stick at a time also moving them to a different DIMM slot. Each time rebooting and continuing to get the above effect (no video , one beep at start, repeated single beep 7-10 seconds until shut off) Once CPU was removed and then power applied is the only time there was no beep. External attachments - Keyboard Mouse Monitor.

Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 03:47:41 pm by gorm4660 »

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
It's hard to tell exactly what has given up the ghost but the motherboard beeps would indicate a power error. I would check to see if you can notice any capacitor damage on the motherboard.

The Athlon II x2 is spec'd by AMD to run at a Core Voltage of between: 0.85-1.425V so throwing 1.6V (yes, I know others have reportedly done this without issue) probably hasn't done the CPU or motherboard any favours.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to respond to my post.

I have taken the MoBo completely out of the chassis, and have checked both sides for scorch marks and cold solder points, nothing to indicate a short. Also visually inspected capacitors with a small magnifying glass and there is no discoloration, bulges or loose solder points on them either.

Have been checking online for a replacement CPU, however would like to determine what is actually bad/blown before replacing random parts.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
I have taken the MoBo completely out of the chassis, and have checked both sides for scorch marks and cold solder points, nothing to indicate a short. Also visually inspected capacitors with a small magnifying glass and there is no discoloration, bulges or loose solder points on them either.

Have been checking online for a replacement CPU, however would like to determine what is actually bad/blown before replacing random parts.

Personally I feel you are in a no win situation here. Without the resources to test everything it is very hard to determine where the problem lies. Both your motherboard and CPU are considered old now and getting replacement parts will not be easy nor would getting them tested as I would guess they are both out of warranty.

The logical thing to do is mark this down as a lesson learnt and invest in a new, more up to date rig, if you can afford to do so. If you can't afford to update then I'm afraid your guess at what component has gone would be as good as mine.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

SOLVED

Personally I feel you are in a no win situation here. Without the resources to test everything it is very hard to determine where the problem lies. Both your motherboard and CPU are considered old now and getting replacement parts will not be easy nor would getting them tested as I would guess they are both out of warranty.

The logical thing to do is mark this down as a lesson learnt and invest in a new, more up to date rig, if you can afford to do so. If you can't afford to update then I'm afraid your guess at what component has gone would be as good as mine.

ABSIC....

I 100% agree with what you are saying, and it just has to last me 2 more mooths until the end of AUgust (Using for Computer tech/Network Sec. classes at local Vocational Institute) and I get my next quarter loan + loan for PC (State subsidy).

Fortunately, I continues to mess with the problem PC and tried the RAM DDR2's again, "Viola" one of the four 2 GB sticks of RAM was the culprit. I presume that I kept replacing the bad stick with the otheres or mixed it up. Regardless the Computer is functional once again. SO thank you again ABSIC for your input and I will close this thread if I can figure out how to do so.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 01:11:29 pm by gorm4660 »