Official GIGABYTE Forum

help with resecuring north bridge heatsink PLEASE

help with resecuring north bridge heatsink PLEASE
« on: February 07, 2010, 01:36:02 am »
Hello all,
With both arctic silver 5 and arctic silver ceramique in hand, I am ready to attempt the removal, cleaning, reapplicatin of thermal compound, and reinstallation of my north bridge heatsink on my GA-MA770T-UD3P motherboard.
Is thereanyone that has had to do this or is familier with the process?
The heatsink is loose on the northbridge and I wish to make it right.
Thanx to anyone in advance.
Jeff

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: help with resecuring north bridge heatsink PLEASE
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 11:08:16 am »
The Northbridge is held in place by 2 plastic push through pins and a couple of springs. To remove these you have to squeeze the clip from the underside of the mothermoard, using a pair of tweezers. (Be careful not to damge the Mobo whilst doing this). Once you have removed the pins and springs, the heatsink wil just come away (as it is loose this should be no problem).

If you have managed to keep the plastic pins in good condition they can be reused when resecuring the heatsink in place or, better still replace with a couple of new ones. Don't overdo the thermal compound as too much is just as bad as too little.

Hope this helps
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 05:30:00 pm »
thanx for the reply absic,
I did it last night, removed all the putty like stuff off both the heatsink and chip, with my fingernail.
heres the result after running prime for 40 minutes afterwards.

http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/xx47/jhandkey/computer/afternbhsrep.jpg

any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

phenomII x2 550 BE stock (stock cooler)
ga-ma770t-ud3p
4gb gskill ddr3 1600
nzxt gamma case 2x 120mm fans ( front lower intake, rear upper exhaust0
HD 4670 gpu
550w corsaip psu

Im still not sure which temperatures are indictated with tmpin 0,1,2 in hwmonitor
Do these temps look a little high or is it that i just put the as5 on it?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 05:33:55 pm by jhandley »

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 03:15:58 pm »
Having looked at those temps and, having done some research on the net, I would say that these temps are concurrent with many users set-ups so don't panic.

However I do feel that they are a little on the hot side and you might want to consider adding some more cooloing to your set-up.

Now that you replaced the heatsink is it sitting firmly onto the chip? Poor contact can be a real issue. If the Heatsink still feels loose you might need to re-asses the way the cooler is mounted and replace the plastic push through pins with a couple of small nylon nuts &  bolts that you can tighten down a little more firmly.

If the heatsink is now in place and seems OK then you could add a fan to the northbridge heatsink to help bring temps down.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 08:23:10 pm »
Thanx for the advice, absic,
I have the nylon screws in hand now, and am thinking about using the ceramique instead of the as5 for the northbridge.
I also now have the enzotech mosfet cooler, and am wondering whether to use the supplied thermal pad on it, or use ceramique instead.
Any thoughts please?

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 03:06:52 pm »
The supplied Thermal Pad should be fine. My advice would be to install with that and if you find that temps are still a little high you can always remove it and use the ceramique.

Beekeeper

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 08:18:50 pm »
hi jhandley

what's the difference in temps when using standard thermal compound (this chewing gum-like ;) ) and as5 ?
“Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.”

Sartre

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 04:45:13 am »
Has it been established that the third temperature TMPIN2 is indeed the northbridge temperature? I used some Arctic Silver 3 on my NB and TMPIN2 usually matches my cpu but no higher (58 max).