Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-X79-UP4 with Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GB - keyboard won't work on splash scrn

Hi guys

I'm working on a brand new build, and have hit a roadblock.

CPU   Intel Core i7-3820 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler   Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard   Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard
Memory   Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage   Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card   Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card
Case   Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply   Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply

I reach the gigabyte splash screen, but then my keyboard stops working properly. It doesn't register when i hit DEL, F12, etc. The only thing it registers is ctrl alt delete.

I have tried 2 x USB keyboards and 1x PS/2 keyboard. It's the same result each time. I have removed the battery for several minutes and replaced, no change. I have removed RAM, put back in in correct order, no change. Have tried using a single stick of ram, no change. I have removed optical drive and additional harddrive, just using one HD, no change. Moved GPU to a different PCI, no change. Checked CPU, no problems, removed it and put back in, no change.

I don't know what else I can do other than return the board. Please give me some advice!

Many thanks

oilman

I had the same problem when I installed my GB GTX 770 OC in my i7 3820 GA x79-up4 system.  It is not a board, RAM, keyboard or other issue. The solution is to install an older card (I used my previous one a GTX 560ti) to get into the bios (I am running bios F2), find the PCI ROM setting (sorry, can't remember where it is in the bios) and change it from EFI ROM to Legacy ROM, save and exit. Shut down and fit the GTX 770, restart and all should be fine.

EDIT: I had a response to my post on this in the graphics card forum from adiiee who gave a link to beta bios F3t if you are interested in trying that also. Personally I will stick with F2 until a new bios is released by GB.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 03:23:52 pm by oilman »
i7 3820 @ 4.3ghz | GB GTX 770 OC | X79-UP4 | Silverstone 850W gold | 4x4gb Vengeance @1600mhz | Hitachi 2tb HDD | Hyper EVO 212 + | Corsair carbide 500R

Hi oilman

Thanks a lot for your reply, I really appreciate you taking the time to look at the problem. As I thought after looking at a lot of other threads, the only solution seems to be to use an old graphics card to access the the bios and change the settings.

The problem is, I have no old graphics card! I haven't owned a PC for 5 years, just laptops/macs! I live in Japan, with no friends who have pc's from which I could borrow a graphics card.

Any other advice on what I could do? Is my only option going to be to buy a cheap video card?

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Do you have a computer repair shop that you go to and ask them for a little help. Other than that you might have to find a older and cheap card on eBay.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

Dmdilks:

I guess looking for that kind of shop is my best chance! Thanks for the idea. I really don't wanna spend any more money if I can avoid it, especially for a card I need for 5 minutes!