Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-FM2A85XM-D3H slow boot - Several minutes black screen before Motherboard logo

Hello everybody.

I have been having some problems with my HTPC for a while now. Specs:

Win 7 64bit
Mobo: GA-FM2A85XM-D3H
CPU:   AMD A10 6800k
RAM:  TeamGroup Elite 4GB (4x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz
GPU:   Gigabyte HD7950 Windforce
2x SSD drive (1 dedicated for OS), 1x hdd, no optical drive
Bios version: F3, flased with Qflash

After I installed a second pair of RAM a few months ago I started getting the slow boot problem. It turned out that the RAM was faulty so I sent it back and received a new pair. The slow boot problem still persists even though there should be no problems with my new RAM (computer passes memtest86+ with no problems).

I am having a hard time isolating the problem, I have tried the following:

-Boot with different number of RAM sticks mounted
-Unplugged all other sata devices
-Reset CMOS
-Flashed bios
-Memtest86+
-Installed GPU drivers
-Set the correct boot disk in Bios

The problem is occurring prior to windows being loaded, as soon as Gigabyte logo finally pops up on the screen after several minutes of darkness the system boots with impressive speed (this makes me doubt that the problem is related to the hard drives). When I restart the computer after having left it on for a while, it will still reboot slowly 9 out of 10 times, but on the odd occasion the black screen prior to logo will just be on for a few seconds rather than a few minutes (this has fooled me into thinking I solved the problem several times).

Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be and how I can fix this?

PS.
Yesterday, when I ran memtest86+ from a USB, the USB booted before I had a chance to enter the bios and rearrange the boot priorities. This tells me that perhaps the problem lies with the harddrives after all. My windows SDD is set as the first boot option, but when a bootable usb stick is plugged in it gets prioritised higher than the ssd.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 02:40:29 pm by 20salmon »

Vezina

• If it s not broken, fix it until it is !
What is the power supply ?
You need a real 300W power supply at least ,quality 400W PSU recommended.
Over & Out !

AMD FX (APU-s included) users should install - KB2645594 & KB2646060 under Windows 7

1.ASUS Sabertooth 990FX 2.0 + FX 6300 + H60
2.MSI A88X-G41 PC Mate + A8 5600K + Hyper TX 2
3.Gigabyte F2A75-D3H + A4 5300
4.ASUS AM1M-A + Athlon 5150

Seasonic X series 650W

Tiger

Mixing memory kits is not recommended, regardless of brand or model.

By mixing memory kits together, there may be compatibility issues such as unable to boot or unable to operate at rated specifications.

Each memory kit sold is thoroughly tested to ensure compatibility within each memory kit. Because another memory kit hasn't been tested with your existing memory kit, compatibility can not be guaranteed.
1) GA-Z97X-Gaming 7, G3258,
2) GA-990FXA-UD3 Rev. 1.1, FX-8350
3) GA-AM1M-S2P, Sempron 3850 Kabini

I replaced the RAM with 2x 4GB Corsair Vengance from the approved RAM list on the gigabyte website. Problem still persists. Is it possible that it is being caused by problems with the CPU? If not then it either has to be a BIOS setting or a problem with the motherboard.

Tiger

2x SSD drive (1 dedicated for OS)

I would check for firmware updates for the SSD's.
1) GA-Z97X-Gaming 7, G3258,
2) GA-990FXA-UD3 Rev. 1.1, FX-8350
3) GA-AM1M-S2P, Sempron 3850 Kabini