Official GIGABYTE Forum

Lifeless New Build - GA-EX58-UD5

Lifeless New Build - GA-EX58-UD5
« on: February 07, 2010, 10:11:33 pm »
Hi all,

This is my first attempt at a build so apologies if I’m doing something glaringly obvious. 

Problem:
Very little happens when I try to power up the machine. 

Story so far, when I switch on the I/O on the PSU the power button on the motherboard itself lights blue.  Fine.  2 LED’s also light up for a fraction of a second next to the DIMM sockets (one green the other orange) then disappear.  Manual says they are either NB Phase or DDR Phase LED’s.  I have a wireless mouse and the light on the wireless receiver attached to the computer comes on permanently and the CAPS/NUM/SCROLL LOCK lights do light-up for about one second but die after that.  So I then switch on the power using the front panel button and the 2 LED’s mentioned above now come on permanently.  There is also what seems to be a very quick “click” sound from the PSU but nothing else happens at all.  No fans work (all connected to headers but they don’t even move not for a second when the power button is pressed), there is no noise of any kind, no beeps that I’m aware of and no further LEDs light.  Monitor does nothing.

What I’ve tried so far:
Thought I should take it back to basics so stripped the system of everything and started completely from scratch.  Re-attached the motherboard, CPU, CPU cooler, 1 stick of 2Gb Corsair DDR3 1600, graphics card, 2 fans, monitor, keyboard, mouse.  Connected 2x12pin power supply, connected 2x4 pin power supply, connected 2 fan headers, connected 2x4pin PCI-E power to graphics card, connected front panel power and led cables and tried to power up again.  Made sure all connections were solid.  Exactly the same result!  Nothing moves and the only lights on the mobo are blue power button and the 2 LEDs mentioned above. 

Any suggestions on what I could try or how to troubleshoot would be much appreciated.  Can provide any further info required.  Totally new to this and running out of options.

???

Thanks

Re: Lifeless New Build - GA-EX58-UD5
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 07:54:13 pm »
Sounds like the motherboard is faulty to me. Have you checked the front panel connections are correctly connected to the motherboard? I'd double check them just to be on the safe side. Other than that have you tried another PSU?

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 11:35:37 pm »
Hi Insurgent thanks for the reply. 

I have checked the front panel power connections and they are securely in place, and have checked the manual to make sure they are in the correct pins.  I have not tried a different PSU yet but that will be my next step.  I also tried starting up with the motherboard outside the case with just ram and the graphics card and cpu/cpu cooler in place but exactly the same happens as before.  The PSU is a 750w Seasonic S12D and the packaging states that it is "equipped with a DC to DC converter design", however the PSU itself says is accepts normal AC input voltages per a standard wall socket so I assume this DC to DC design should not cause a problem?

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 06:34:46 am »
Have you attached a speaker to your Mobo so that you can hear the post beeps? Maybe a stupid question but Mobos don't actually come with one and unless there is one supplied with your chasis you have to get a speaker as a seperate item so that you can hear the bbeeps.

If you disconnect the PSU totally from the PC and switch it on does the cooloing fan in the PSU turn on? I have had trouble with various PSU's and I think that this is a good place to start. If you have another PSU available (even a lower wattage one) try swapping them and see what happens.
If you haven't got another PSU can you test the one you are using? Check that you are actually getting power to the pins.
The fact that you are not getting any power to the fans points, I think, to the PSU and not the motherboard.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 08:51:00 am »
Hi absic thanks for your comments.

Not a stupid question, like I said I'm new to this.  I initially didn't connect any speakers as I was hoping it'd power up first time  ::)

However as it didn't I attached headphones to the front panel (connected front panel audio to the motherboard) and when I switch on I can hear that characterisitc noise of power/audio coming through the headphones (slightly dull "thud" sound when power switch pressed).  However, there are no beeps at all.  I do have a speaker set so I can try that instead just in case there's an issue with the front panel audio.

I will disconnect the PSU totally tonight and see if the fan turns on.  I think the PSU's fan is regulated by temperature however I assume the fan would still at least turn, or do something, when powered up? 

Thanks for all the help so far.

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 04:23:06 pm »
Well, that's it it's been resolved.   ;D

It was in fact the PSU after all.  I got my hands on another one (Corsair HX 850w) and amazingly it powered up first time no problems at all.  The orgininal PSU I bought was brand new and not a cheapo so I was just unlucky I guess.  At least all that re-assembling of my components has improved my cable management skills!

Thanks for your help guys.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 07:35:49 am »
Pleased to be able to help. Happy computing! :D
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.