Official GIGABYTE Forum

main bios checksum error (GA-990FXA-UD3 rev 1.0)

zonder

main bios checksum error (GA-990FXA-UD3 rev 1.0)
« on: July 24, 2013, 10:32:29 pm »
Hello if anyone could help me i would be grateful.

After 2-3 unexpeted shutdowns (95% sure due to overheating - ordered new cooler for cpu and case fans  Grin ), i turned on my pc and got the "main bios checksum error" message.

Not sure if important but for that last boot, i pressed the on button but it kind of stuck inside and so the pc shut down before even entering the bios, so pushing the button to turn on (carefully this time Wink) i got the message.
Thankfully it said "copying from backup bios" and it actually worked, so it booted normally to windows (win 8 by the way).

So my question now is this. Is my main bios broken? did my back up bios wrote into the main, and how can i know if i'm working with the main or the back up?. how can i know if its a hardware failure of the main bios? note that my main bios was f7 and now i'm with f4 (the default that the back up wrote on the main). If the main is broken, can i fix it? Thank you.

ps. i have the mobo for about 6-7 months

i posted this also on the rma and service forum. sorry but i don't understand which forum is for technical questions.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: main bios checksum error (GA-990FXA-UD3 rev 1.0)
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 07:05:49 am »
Hi there,

If there was a physical problem with the main BIOS chip itself, it wouldn't have reflashed from the Backup BIOS. It is worth noting that if you shutdown the PC in the way that your system did, it can evoke the emergency backup flash, which is probably what happened to you.

As your system is functioning there is no reason why you can't update the main BIOS back to the F7 or latest BIOS using QFlash.

Once you have updated your Main BIOS you can copy the new version to the Backup BIOS chip. Check here for details: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,10304.0.html

ps. I removed your duplicate post to avoid confusion.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

zonder

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 09:23:38 am »
thank you very much for your quick answer!!

2 points here. when i press alt & f12 i get the boot options screen and not options for bios (i have an award bios). Also at the bottom of the boot screen it says pres f12 for boot options. pressing f8 goes to qflash utility which also does not have an option to "see" your main and back up bios, only to update the one you're using.

also although it reverted to my back up bios my settings from the f7 bios are still intact. (cpu cores unlocked, boot sequence etc.) shouldn't it revert to default values?

edit.  ignore the first point i managed to enter the screen for copying the main to the back up :) but the second point is still valid :P

« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 09:28:21 am by zonder »

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 07:44:31 pm »
although it reverted to my back up bios my settings from the f7 bios are still intact. (cpu cores unlocked, boot sequence etc.) shouldn't it revert to default values?

I would have expected it to reset all the BIOS settings to default when the Backup BIOS was copied to the main BIOS chip but hey, we're talking about a computer here and I have learnt that things never work the way you would expect them too.  :o

All you can really do is keep a watch on how things are going now and if the system is stable then you can thank the computer Gods, that are obviously, watching over your system.  ;)
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

MisterEd

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 06:24:48 am »
I also have a GA-990FXA-UD3 rev 1.0. I let my original CPU run too hot too long causing it to fail.

How hot was your CPU when the computer shut down? Were you running it at full load when the CPU got hot or was it closer to idle?

When you get your computer going again you probably should monitor the CPU temperature closely for a while so that you can avoid letting it get too hot again.
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 v1.0 | AMD FX-8350 | Corsair H60 | GSkill RipjawsX (2x4GB) | ASUS GeForce GTX 560 | Windows 7 Ult 64-bit
ASUS M4N82 Deluxe | AMD Phenom II X4 960T | Corsair XMS2 (4x2GB) | PNY GeForce GTS 250 | Windows 7 Home Prem  64-bit