Official GIGABYTE Forum

Help with ga-ma785gmt-ud2h and corrupt files under windows 7 and linux

khepri

Hi  :)
I have this board, out of warranty, buyed in sping 2010, with the same or very close issues described in these threads:

http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,9860.0.html
http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?PHPSESSID=7uc0t5bu6jq1us0pb1s45dvot7&/topic,9014.0.html

From the very firsts months of use, I noticed that something's going wrong, but the board was mounted in a Desktop PC , used for Internet and office, mainly, but recently I  do some heavier tasks with this Pc, like editing audio and I'm suffering more corruptions, I googled for similar problems, and I found the threads mentioned previously.

In the first time I suspected of my wifi network, certain downloads, those bigger than 512M were affected (but random), and also, for more confusion, I used a WD Green with Intellipark Issue, and I thought that this HD was the cause of the corrupted files.

Now, I'm  sure the hard drive  isn't the cause, I moved to a WD blue, and a Seagate, and also, it isn't a software or driver related problem because fails under windows and linux with big files . And I updated the bios to the last version, F10B.

I want to know if someone knows what is the reason of this malfunction, the SATA controller, the chipset, BIOS? Any solution??

I changed the RAM from the blue to the white sockets, and tried with only one module, but the same. In the next days, I'll borrow some RAM modules from a friend .
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 08:58:18 pm by khepri »

MisterEd

Ideally if you had a lot of spare parts you could swap them out until you isolated the problem. Unfortunately most people do not.

A number of things could also be problem. You seemed to have eliminated the hard drive, operating system and drivers.

From one of the links I see even testing did not find RAM that proved to be bad. Have you tested the RAM extensively? Testing the RAM singly and in pairs overnight might prove necessary. If testing does not show bad RAM and you still think that the RAM might be bad then trying different RAM might satisfy your doubts.

How about the CPU? If it is marginal or if it has a built-in memory controller that is marginal then that would cause memory problems also.

Some other things to think about are the motherboard and the power supply. Even the modem and router must be considered if the problem is a network one.

I just realized that you noticed the problem after using the computer for a few months. Is it possible that problem was there all along? If so then then both your Windows and Linux might have been corrupted during installation. If this happened then both would be showing problems and be suspect.
If it turns out that your software was corrupted then nothing could be trusted. After the faulty hardware was found and replaced the best thing to
do would be reformat you drive and reinstall both Windows and Linux.

BTW, my computer started giving a lot of errors. The RAM tested bad so I replaced it. The new RAM tested bad also. It turned out that the CPU had a bad memory controller.
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 v1.0 | AMD FX-8350 | Corsair H60 | GSkill RipjawsX (2x4GB) | ASUS GeForce GTX 560 | Windows 7 Ult 64-bit
ASUS M4N82 Deluxe | AMD Phenom II X4 960T | Corsair XMS2 (4x2GB) | PNY GeForce GTS 250 | Windows 7 Home Prem  64-bit

khepri

Ideally if you had a lot of spare parts you could swap them out until you isolated the problem. Unfortunately most people do not.

A number of things could also be problem. You seemed to have eliminated the hard drive, operating system and drivers.

From one of the links I see even testing did not find RAM that proved to be bad. Have you tested the RAM extensively? Testing the RAM singly and in pairs overnight might prove necessary. If testing does not show bad RAM and you still think that the RAM might be bad then trying different RAM might satisfy your doubts.

I tested the RAM , a OCZ dual channel kit, single & pairly, and it's OK,  but I don't discard at all because it isn't in the memory compatibility list of this board. l'll try to test with one compatible module.

How about the CPU? If it is marginal or if it has a built-in memory controller that is marginal then that would cause memory problems also.
Really? How I can test or know if it's a CPU fault without change it?. This is the most difficult part to obtain for me, I only have older AM2 CPU to test and this board is AM3 only.

Some other things to think about are the motherboard and the power supply. Even the modem and router must be considered if the problem is a network one.
Tested and discarded

I just realized that you noticed the problem after using the computer for a few months. Is it possible that problem was there all along? If so then then both your Windows and Linux might have been corrupted during installation. If this happened then both would be showing problems and be suspect.
I have changed the OS's several times (and different versions also) . Also I tested with live DVD's (burned in another computer). It's true, that there are some situations worse than other's, there are less corrupts or crashes with the HDD working in IDE Mode (AHCI is worse), windows works better without the Superfetch service, etc.  but the corruption in files takes place  in one or another form.

Thanks for your reply.