Official GIGABYTE Forum

What's the difference between GA-870A-UD3 (rev. 2.1) and GA-870A-UD3 (rev. 2.0)?

Hi.

What's the difference between GA-870A-UD3 (rev. 2.1) and GA-870A-UD3 (rev. 2.0)?
What's the difference between GA-880GA-UD3H (rev. 2.x) and GA-880GA-UD3H (rev. 2.0)?
I saw in an article (http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mainboards/display/amd-870-roundup_3.html#sect0), the differences what they found are DIMM slots layout and two microchips are missing. I compared rev. 2.1 and 2.0 in Gigabyte homepage, but they didn't show any difference between them. Do you know more about this?
Thank you

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
The CPB chip stands for Core Performance Boost and as far as I remember it was for unlocking the extra locked cores on some chips, however Gigabyte decided it could be done via software instead and so the chips vanished.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 11:20:12 am by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Thank you for your quick answer.
So actually 2 solutions for the same thing.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Yes as far as I understand it. That also explains why in your link the testers found no diference when the enabled it as they didn't try and unlock a core afterwards.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

I couldn't decide, that with the following question open a new topic or not.... I will try here first:

AMD will make a new processor, bulldozer. Maybe it's still too early to ask, but will be compatible AMD bulldozer with AM3 socket, 800 series chipset and DDR3? Will be a BIOS upgrade enough on a GA-870A-UD3 ?

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Hi,

My understanding of the new CPU's being produced by AMD is that they will need a new socket AM3+.

You might like to look through this item as it may answer some of your questions: http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20100826225852_Desktop_Bulldozer_Processors_Will_Require_New_Platforms_AMD.html#
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

I have a rev 2.1 MB and manual that came with it, rev 2101, shows DDR3 must be in channels 1/3 or 2/4 for dual channel.  I saw a post elsewhere that shows 1/2 and 3/4, right out of a manual.  GB made a change along the way....

g00n

I have a rev 2.1 MB and manual that came with it, rev 2101, shows DDR3 must be in channels 1/3 or 2/4 for dual channel.  I saw a post elsewhere that shows 1/2 and 3/4, right out of a manual.  GB made a change along the way....

I concur that the Rev. 2.1 manual directs you to install 2x DDR3 in channels 1 & 3 or 2 & 4 for dual channel operation.

This post http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,3849.msg29724.html#msg29724 shows a capture of the Rev. 2.0 manual directing dual channel to be installed in 1&2. Odd.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 11:34:31 pm by g00n »

Hi to all members...

I wanna continue the searching about revisions, since we have two more freshnew. The "rev.3.1" the so called "black socket" that supports officially AM3+ and the previous "rev.3.0" that seems almost identical, but the black colour socket. They have the same updated BIOS with the extra features (Hybrid EFI, 3TB+ HDD, 108 SNR playback) and maybe we 'll see a future BIOS update even for the "rev.3.0" "white socket" (considering and assuming by the common BIOS) that they both share the same "internal architecture design". Too sad for the first revisions's owners (2.0, 2.1, 2.2) who can't take advantage of the last and trully encanced (FD) BIOS.

Now. In real life. In terms of efficiency, stability, potential OC, how do the "first" and no longer BIOS-updated revisions (2.0, 2.1, 2.2) compare to the more recent and full BIOS-updated revisions (3.0, 3.1)? Are they any better? Worse? No difference at all? I don't mean the obvious extra features I 've allready mentioned, I mean if it's worth the extra money, the extra seeking in market, the extra patience, regarding that they are almost like a ghost product. They 've been for sale for a few days ago and then they vanished. Only some lucky guys cought 'em up. And now again, in most of the European retailers there is "Lack of stock", the representative told me.

Problem is, I am without a desktop for second month in a raw, and while I have all of the the parts to build my new PC, my Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 "rev.3.0" that I 've ordered through an eshop, never appeared in my hands, and I finally got a "rev.2.1". My original order was not available, the salesman said. So I am stuck, with an unboxed mobo, hungry and anxious to assemble the rest of my stuff on it.  But, I can't decide if this is a wise move, with the newer revisions around the corner and with that annoying doubt, that I should have waited and picked up my initial "rev.3.0" and above.

I 've read hundreds of posts in many fora and some nice reviews, but I didn't find any specific answer which ones are better. Any info is welcome. Thanx a priori...

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Hi there,

The main difference as I understand it between the Rev3.0 and rev 3.1 is as stated the different sockets.

Rev 3.0 has larger BIOS chips to allow for Gigabytes EFI BIOS to run which earlier revision can't because of their smaller BIOS chips. Rev 3.0 has 2 X 16 MBit chips whereas earlier revisions have 2 X 8 Mbit chips. The Rev 3.0 and earlier motherboards will not be supporting the new AMD "Bulldozer" processors.

The Rev 3.1 motherboard only differs in the AM3+ Socket which will support the new "Bulldozer" processors when they come along.

Availability of the Rev 3.0 and Rev 3.1 boards is something I do not have an answer to at the moment but I have asked the question and will post back on that when I get an answer.

From an actual performance point of view there is no real difference between any of the revisions. However, the Larger BIOS chips on the 3.0 & 3.1 revisions do allow for the use of EFI BIOS and also the use of 3TB HDD's.

Hope this helps.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Thanx a lot for your information. I needed these clarifications and your positive opinion in "my revision". I think I will build my system tomorrow, with the current "rev.2.1" that lays down my office and provokes me to strip her ;D
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 12:33:40 am by 1600 »

why Gigabyte delete  on bios Advance Clock Calibration and Hybrid optin ??? i cant unlock my Phenom II 555 be i ty all bios  use the unlock core  nothing  happend stell 2 core