Official GIGABYTE Forum

MA790XT-UD4P Max. amperage per fan header

MA790XT-UD4P Max. amperage per fan header
« on: February 07, 2010, 08:55:26 am »
I'm looking at installing two Delta fans that consume 0.7A and 0.8A respectively on the fan headers on my MA790XT-UD4P AM3 motherboard.  I once e-mailed gigabyte support about this and someone responded saying each header supported one amp but the response didn't seem very convincing or educated:
each header draws up to an max of 1amperage, all those fans should bot required that much power if they are connected to the 4 pin molex. Not the motherboard using an Y adapter. Each header are only meant for one fan
NOTE: I was asking this in an inquiry about using Y-adpaters for my fans at the time; I won't be using Y-adapters for these Delta fans and will be connecting them to separate headers.
Am I safe on using these 0.7A and 0.8A fans on my 790XT-UD4P?  Is there a maximum limit for all headers?
I just don't want to end up bricking my board over using a couple of good fans... ;D

Many thanks
-xd_1771 from overclock.net
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 08:56:03 am by xd_1771 »

oggmonster

• I can see Russia from my house
Re: MA790XT-UD4P Max. amperage per fan header
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 12:57:17 pm »
I'm not sure tbh, though I never plug fans into any motherboard. They're probably safe but like you said isn't worth bricking your board over. I personally use the fan header to molex adaptor and plug fans into 4pin molexes
There's no place like ::1

nicolatesla

• what, the rabbit?
Re: MA790XT-UD4P Max. amperage per fan header
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 07:02:44 pm »
I'm looking at installing two Delta fans that consume 0.7A and 0.8A respectively on the fan headers on my MA790XT-UD4P AM3 motherboard.  I once e-mailed gigabyte support about this and someone responded saying each header supported one amp but the response didn't seem very convincing or educated:
each header draws up to an max of 1amperage, all those fans should bot required that much power if they are connected to the 4 pin molex. Not the motherboard using an Y adapter. Each header are only meant for one fan
NOTE: I was asking this in an inquiry about using Y-adpaters for my fans at the time; I won't be using Y-adapters for these Delta fans and will be connecting them to separate headers.
Am I safe on using these 0.7A and 0.8A fans on my 790XT-UD4P?  Is there a maximum limit for all headers?
I just don't want to end up bricking my board over using a couple of good fans... ;D

Many thanks
-xd_1771 from overclock.net
The onboard fan connectors should be loaded with about .3-.5 amp each. That's one fan per connector. The fans you are talking about are too large. Most fans are pulling much smaller current draw.
The most reliable way is to run fans is directly off the power supply. 5 volt is low, 7 volts is medium, 12 volts is high
Each fan connector has a transistor to regulate the voltage. The transistor can't handle .7 amps without overheating.
check this fan article:
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/496/3
 ;D
Giga GA-MA790FXT-UD5P, Phenom II 945 X4, Gskill 4GB, Coolermaster, Sapphire HD4870, Velociraptor HDD, 7 fans, Antec 550+, Acer 24" LCD. "I tried Asus, then I bought a real motherboard."