Official GIGABYTE Forum

Booting from the front usb ports Z77 UD5h

Booting from the front usb ports Z77 UD5h
« on: August 18, 2013, 10:15:01 am »
If I create any type of media that boots from a usb thumb drive, the bios will recognize it if its inserted into one of the rear built-in ports on the Mobo but not from the front ports on the tower.
Is this normal or is there is a setting I need to fix? I have (I think) the latest Bios update installed.
Could someone please explain how or why this is? Thanks in advance.

Intel 17 3770
Z77X UD5H with F15q version bios
16 GB ram
Cooler Master CM Storm Scout 2 Advanced SGC-2100-KWN3
Nvidia GTX 670 FTW
Corsair 750 wt PSU
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 10:20:20 am by Photoray »

Re: Booting from the front usb ports Z77 UD5h
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 05:22:47 pm »
In other words, the built in usb ports are recognized during bios boot for boot-able drives inserted but the ports on the bottom of the board that the front case ports plug into are not. You can see a drive inserted there after windows boots up but you cannot boot from a thumb drive there.

Anyone?

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 07:30:06 pm »
Hi there,

I have used plenty of Gigabyte boards and have not come across this particular problem.

I usually build a PC and use the front USB ports to install the OS (normally a Windows flavour) and have never had an issue like the one you are describing. Check BIOS settings and make sure USB ports are enabled and that your PC Chassis USB plug is mounted onto the lowest USB Header number on the motherboard. Also make sure the USB Device is plugged into the USB port before you start the PC as sometimes trying to hot plug them can be a problem.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 02:36:35 am »
I have used plenty of Gigabyte boards and have not come across this particular problem.
Ah ok. Thats gives me something to go by.
I will try those suggestions out tonight and write back what I find.
Thank you.

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 05:34:01 am »
Hurray its working now. I had both USB 2 and 3 ports acting up.

• Went into the Bios first and made sure the usb ports were in fact enabled and they were. At least I could find usb 2.0 enabled. Saved and exited and suddenly I found the usb 2 front ports working intermittently. The 3.0 ports still not.
  • Checked the plugs. reseated the 2.0 plug as it was a little bit tilted in the socket. I also discovered that sometimes I have to wiggle the drive in the 2.0 ports to get it to be seen in the boot option screen. With the 3.0 sockets there are 3 of them. That plug was in the 2nd socket at the bottom of the board. Moved the plug to socket #1 located up by the 24 pin power plug and now it works for bootable drives.

I didn't think it would matter which socket was used for the usb plugs. Any theory as to why it matters?
Anyway, it works. Thanks for the heads up!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 06:00:01 am by Photoray »