Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-Z77X-D3H: Freezing and POST issues after changing hard drive configuration

Just wondering if anyone can help with this rather odd issue I've been having since changing my hard drive config. I had a raid 0 array of two old 320 gb hard drives that I have recently upgraded to a couple of 3tb drives in raid 1. In the process of changing them over, I moved them from the marvell controller on the board to the southbridge controller and hence had to change the intel controller to raid mode from AHCI. My system drive is a 64 gb ssd that runs of the intel controller and i was required to edit the registry in windows in order to avoid blue screens during loading windows due to driver issues. The raid 1 array is up and running, and in itself, seems to be running fine but since then i have experienced an issue with freezing and posting. When I load windows, after I log in, the machine freezes for about 30 seconds and then restarts. After this, it then fails to POST (no beep codes) when i press the power button, where the power supply starts, the fans turn for about a second and then it just turns off again. The machine will continue to do this until such time as I disconnect the 24 pin molex power connector from the motherboard and reconnect it (cycling the kill switch on the back of the power supply doesn't work). After this reconnection, the computer will load perfectly fine and will experience no such freezing in windows until such time as i restart the computer again and then it repeats as above, loading in, freezing and then failing to post.

I'm just not sure how to even go about troubleshooting this problem. The things that I have tried are as follows:
Upgrading the motherboard bios to the latest version (17f beta) and then also trying the latest stable version (16).
Updating Intel RST to the latest version.
Booting windows with no additional hard drives other than the system drive attached
Changing the intel controller back to AHCI mode.
Loading optimized defaults in the bios

EDIT: System specs:
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-D3H, rev 1.0, bios version 16
CPU: Intel i5-3570
GPU: Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 660
New HDDs: Seagate 3000GB ST3000DM001
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 02:52:49 pm by Aelieas »