Official GIGABYTE Forum

auto restart of pc even in idle or in bios (Gigabyte G41M-COMBO)

I have a Gigabyte G41M-Combo board with the ff specs:
Intel Core 2 Duo E6300
Palit Geforce GTX 650
Cooler Master GX 550W
Transcend 4GB ram 1333

My pc randomly restarts automatically when I'm playing games,surfing the net etc. even when I leave it idle in Desktop or in BIOS.  So what could be the problem? All of hardware mentioned above are only a week old except for the processor.  It's been completely running fine for about a week and then suddenly yesterday the random restarts occurred until now.

There is one short beep before POST when it automatically restarts (as if the PC was just turned on or after exiting BIOS then rebooting). But when I manually restart from windows, there is no short beep before POST.  Hoping you could help me guys coz I'm really frustrated :(
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 03:34:04 pm by nivram11 »

Re: auto restart of pc even in idle or in bios (Gigabyte G41M-COMBO)
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 10:45:11 pm »
If it reboots even in the BIOS it sounds like a hardware problem.

* Is it getting too hot? Try a window fan on the side just for a test.
* I had a similar issue recently and it was the PSU (Power Supply). This is my best guess.
* Try re-seating everything. Sometimes this does help if a pin is just barely connected on the RAM or CPU. Ground yourself!
* Did you buy cheap RAM?

If you still have issues try part swapping (if you have parts) until you identify

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 06:43:12 am »
I ran prime95 and my cpu reached 70C in only a minute. I think this a problem. Thinking of replacing my stock cpu fan with a CM Hyper 212 plus.
My PSU is brand new. My CPU ran fine for about 3 days after I posted this. I was playing games for 3 days straight and no restart. Then it happens again today.
RAM is also brand new and passed memtest with no errors

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 03:44:46 pm »
MY pc restarted when I was running memtest. I just installed a Thermaltake NIC C4 and temps were 35C-38C at idle and 50 at 100% load. I'm running at safe mode with networking right now and it seems stable.

EDIT: my pc just restarted while running in safe mode with networking. I ran chkdsk and it restarted twice at 14% at step 4 of 5. Disabled auto restart on sytem failure. no BSOD
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 06:14:27 pm by nivram11 »

sidd

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 10:19:08 pm »
these are the fcking problems arised when u build custom computer systems.
i am already having issues like this with my system and now i hate to build my own pc.
i prefer buying branded pc.