Official GIGABYTE Forum

Monitors asleep during boot process?

Monitors asleep during boot process?
« on: August 27, 2013, 02:24:44 am »
My PC doesn't show anything at all during the boot process. No boot info, BIOS, splash screen, nothing... My monitors go to "sleep" until the Windows 7 "Welcome" screen shows up, then they click on. I hadn't thought much about it in the past but now I'd like to reinstall Windows and I can't access the boot setup or BIOS. I have no doubt that these tasks are being completed while the monitors are sleeping, it's just that I can't see them. I used to be able to see it some time ago... What's going on?

Windows 7
gigabyte z68xp-ud3
Intel 2500-K
GeForce GTX 550ti

AndyM

Re: Monitors asleep during boot process?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 05:19:54 pm »
I had the opposite when I built a Windows 8 machine.  My old monitor which I previously used on XP via the DVI-D port and set to digital, when plugged into the DVI-D port on my new machine showed the BIOS Post screen then when Windows 8 loaded it went blank.  So there is a difference between the BIOS screen being displayed and Windows.  I resolved it initially by setting the monitor to analogue and using the D-Sub port.  I could then see the BIOS and Windows 8.  Subsequently, I bought a new shorter DVI cable, set the monitor to digital and plugged it into the DVI-D port.  I then arrive at the position I was in with XP, a digital display which showed BIOS and Windows.  I don't understand why my monitor did this.

I hope that helps.