Official GIGABYTE Forum

USB ports stop workin

USB ports stop workin
« on: August 30, 2013, 10:47:43 pm »
Help!!!

I built my computer 3 weeks ago and everything was working great. Yesterday, my usb 3.0 ports stopped working. I was able to plug in my mouse and keyboard into the usb 2.0 ports on the front of my case (only have 2) and they worked, but ALL other usb ports were dead. After reading numerous posts from different tech forums, I tried several solutions for the problem, but none of them worked. Including: disconnecting the power, taking out the cmos battery, disabling the usb ports from within Windows Device Manager, and updating all drivers. During the process of disabling the USB ports from within Device Manager, I lost all usb ports at one point, even the 2.0 ports that had been previously working. The one thing that was strange was I would be able to use my mouse/keyboard in bios, but as soon as windows loaded (normal and safe mode), I would lose power to both devices, and again none of the usb ports on the motherboard or in the case would work. At this point I installed the extra 3.5" drive slot 3.0 USB port "hub/card" that came with the MB and connected it to the F_USB30_2 slot on the motherboard. That 3.0 usb port did work, but not the others, and it only worked in BIOS or in the reinstall windows screen.

So immediately after reinstalling Windows 7 (before installing ANY other drivers) I unplugged the working mouse from the 2.0 usb slot and attempted to plug it into every other usb connection. None of them worked except for the ones on the 3.5" hub/card and the 2.0 ports on the front of the machine. I then updated all drivers (operating system, MB and GPU).  I have two 2.0 usb ports (located on the front of the case) and two 3.0 usb ports (the 3.5" drive slot USB "hub/card") working. None of the other 3.0 usb ports are working in the rear of the CPU, or the two located next to the 2.0 ports on the front of the case.

MY Hardware:

Gigabyte GA-z87x-ud5h
intel i-7 4770k
nvidia 780 gtx gpu
samsung pro 256GB ssd
16gb ram
CoolerMaster HAF XM mid-tower case

At this point, Im thinking I either have a fried motherboard, or Im missing something so obvious it's silly.

Any ideas?

ysw

Re: USB ports stop workin
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 03:49:26 am »
if u use any usb hub, you may remove it and then try if usb ports work.

paaron

Re: USB ports stop workin
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 05:08:52 am »
Hi Fattarby,

I think you fryed the XHCI controller on your motherboard. You should probably contact gigabyte for additional support.