Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA H55M-UD2H Booting Problems....

GA H55M-UD2H Booting Problems....
« on: September 02, 2013, 09:42:36 am »
OK, so here goes, a very weird problem.

When I boot the PC, the power light on the outside of the PC comes on, and all 4 phase lights come on also. The power light then starts to flicker on and off erratically, and as soon as the 4 phase lights go off, the power light then remains on, and the PC sometimes boots, sometimes not.

When I remove the memory, instead of getting the normal repeating "no memory" beeps from the computer, I get 5 seconds of very rapid beep, beep, beep, beep. Continuous rapid beeping, maybe twenty beeps in 5 seconds, then a pause, then it repeats that over and over.

When I have memory in the board, I get NO post beep at all, and as I said, sometimes it boots, sometimes not. For two days before the failure to boot started, there was a very high pitched squeal coming from inside the PC at start up, which usually lasted about 20 seconds then disappeared. Maybe a capacitor resonating???

I have tried this so far.....

Removed the board from the PC, and set it up on my "bread board" test bed using the same power supply and memory with nothing else attached. Same result.

Swapped out the PSU for a brand new one, same result.

Swapped out the memory for new memory, same result.

Tried the case, PSU, memory and drives with another motherboard and CPU, work fine.

So, I have eliminated everything except for the motherboard and CPU. I don't have another 1156 motherboard or CPU to swap over, and they are difficult to come by now new (at a reasonable price), so I am curious to see if anyone else has experienced this issue, and what the problem was....

Thanks in advance for your help/advice.