Official GIGABYTE Forum

F2A85X-UP4 not booting, remains in POST

niftystudio

F2A85X-UP4 not booting, remains in POST
« on: September 16, 2013, 06:34:34 pm »
Hello everybody, fist of all thanks for reading this topic.

I have a Gigabyte F2A85X-UP4 mobo with an AMD A8-5600K processor and 8 GB of RAM and 1 TB HDD with a 725W CoolerMaster system. It was running great with Win7 x64 but I also wanted to install Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS and found out that ubuntu isn't supported in UEFI BIOS boards like this one. So following some threads and tutorials, I entered the BIOS config and tried to disable the UEFI by changing "BOOT MODE SELECTION" to "Legacy Only" but after rebooting it crashed in the POST screen. So I pushed the CMS_SW button in the board to flush the BIOS config changes, rebooted, loaded the optimized defaults, rebooted and it worked perfectly.

Next, I entered the BIOS config again and changed the "CSM SUPPORT" to "never" and when I rebooted, it crashed again in POST screen, but now the CMS_SW button neither removing the BIOS battery (even for several hours) have worked to reset the BIOS config. I was expecting the BIOS backup to do its job, but it's always the same: just the POST screen.

I've also observed these:
  • When my PC worked well there was a BEEP sound right after turning on. Now it's gone.
  • Even the POST screen shows up, the options are inaccessible or the keyboard doesn't respond.
  • During first seconds after turning on, the LCD debugger display in several times 55 codes which means "MEMORY INITIALIZATION ERROR OCCURS". So at first I thought that the problem might be the RAM dimms, but these are working well in another PC.
  • Also, the LCD debugger displays 99 (Super IO initialization) and 9d (Activated all currently connected USB devices) code right before stopping and 9d code remain still.
  • I've disconnected all peripherals like HDD, DVDRW and the WLAN card, just leaving the front panel USB and always the 9d code remains. Only when I've tried to turn the PC on without the monitor attached, I've heard the no-VGA beeping and then stops at 99 code

I'm planning to send the mobo to warranty but first I wanted to know if there's a way to solve this by myself. Any suggests??

Thanks for reading

Vezina

• If it s not broken, fix it until it is !
Re: F2A85X-UP4 not booting, remains in POST
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 11:09:36 pm »
Let the settings on auto or as they are by default ,for the items you ve changed.
Simply CLEAR CMOS and remove battery for 1 day ,it should recover.
Remove the mobo form the case and remake the system on a wooden surface.

I also do not understand the HUGE PSU wattage.
That rig even overclocked wont suck more than 350Watts.
In idle goes to maybe 40 Watts.

Efficiency of the PSU at such loads is quite low and a lot of power is drawed from the mains to be wasted.
Also the PSU might give issues with such low loads depending on the rail design and protections.

Use such PSU only if you intend to use a hungry video card.

If the debuggers tells memory issues swap the RAM as well ,nothing unusual for the RAM sticks to be bad ,but before that make sure you reinstall them where manual says for maximum performance ,make sure they snap in properly.
Over & Out !

AMD FX (APU-s included) users should install - KB2645594 & KB2646060 under Windows 7

1.ASUS Sabertooth 990FX 2.0 + FX 6300 + H60
2.MSI A88X-G41 PC Mate + A8 5600K + Hyper TX 2
3.Gigabyte F2A75-D3H + A4 5300
4.ASUS AM1M-A + Athlon 5150