Official GIGABYTE Forum

U2442 notebook boot fail

U2442 notebook boot fail
« on: September 28, 2013, 12:40:06 am »
Hi,

I just installed Ubuntu onto this laptop and the installation went ok. I removed my USB key and proceeded to reboot.

After rebooting the BIOS did not recognize the mSSD. It did confirm that it was showing up under another menu. The boot order screen did not show any devices. Plugged my USB key back in and the BIOS was recognizing this device.

I decided to reset BIOS defaults and after doing this and rebooting again I dont even get POST. Just a black screen, HD light for 2 seconds, fan turns on for 1 second and this cycle repeats with nothing on the screen.

The SSD was functional because I booted into windows when I first received the laptop a few days ago. This seems like a BIOS issue, I did not update the BIOS but I did notice that it was the initial version released.

Any help is appreciated.

Re: U2442 notebook boot fail
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 12:44:04 pm »
I have the exact problem. Initially i solved it by resetting cmos, removing battery + cmos battery by removing the back plate (all screws). It worked for like 6months but now I get the problem all the time. Now im trying to flash latest Windows 7 BIOS to see if that solves it but cant seem to manage that from ubuntu or dos... Anyone know hos to flash??

Re: U2442 notebook boot fail
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 03:56:03 pm »
For me this issue is solved now.

I reinstalled ubuntu in EFI-mode because I somehow suspected something that the bootloop had something to do with trying too boot the computer using UEFI while no UEFI partition existed.

If you have installed ubuntu in LEGACY-mode I suggest you reset the CMOS as mentioned above and boot straight into the ubuntu USB-start disk. In their you create a new partition on 200-500mb as FAT32 and set a bootflag on it. Then reinstall ubuntu and it will detect an EFI-partition and your problems should be solved.

Good luck.