Official GIGABYTE Forum

Z87 When will Gigabyte fix the 4 DIMM memory issue?

Re: Z87-D3HP When will Gigabyte fix the 4 DIMM memory issue?
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2014, 11:51:51 pm »
Just confirming the setting ..

In the BIOS under Advanced CPU core features, change the C3/C6 state support setting to effectively disable C3/C6.
ie. change it to C2 or lower rather then 'Auto'.
(I don't have one of the machines in front of me so I'm not sure what options you actually get)

Kinda has a logical path as this C3/C6 state would only be initiated by an advanced OS like Windows.
Ergo, Windows BSOD's because it tells one or more cores to power down, then when they powers on again it gets a memory error and BSOD's.
You then fire up Memtest and check the RAM and do not get any errors because Memtest is a very low level OS which does not ever tell the cores to power down.

When I had this on our servers it only effected a particular bank of memory (the system has 18 memory slots with three banks of three channels for each CPU). It may be that in the desktop world this only affects the 4th bank due something like the distance from bank to the chipset.

Lemme know how you go  ;)

« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2014, 01:34:19 pm »
In the BIOS under Advanced CPU core features, change the C3/C6 state support setting to effectively disable C3/C6.
ie. change it to C2 or lower rather then 'Auto'.
(I don't have one of the machines in front of me so I'm not sure what options you actually get)

Kinda has a logical path as this C3/C6 state would only be initiated by an advanced OS like Windows.
Ergo, Windows BSOD's because it tells one or more cores to power down, then when they powers on again it gets a memory error and BSOD's.
You then fire up Memtest and check the RAM and do not get any errors because Memtest is a very low level OS which does not ever tell the cores to power down.

Like you, Sh0ck-wave, I was quite interested in the UD4H until I read about these problems, but I backed off the purchase when I did a little more research and found out that this was going on.  I'd still like to get one if there's ever an official fix, though I can't wait much longer and am beginning to lean strongly toward another manufacturer.

Your proposed solution sounded interesting, but I knew nothing about C states so I did a little research.  What you're suggesting makes sense, and I wouldn't be surprised if it helped.  However, if I understand C states correctly, I'm not sure I would consider this an acceptable solution.  Again, I might not know what I'm talking about, but I got the impression that dropping to C2 or lower would cause inactive cores to draw significantly more power and thus create more heat and increase the rate of thermal degradation of the CPU.  If that's the case, and I don't absolutely know that it is, I'd still have to choose a different motherboard.

So, I was hoping you or anyone else here would know if my impression is anywhere near the reality.

« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2014, 10:15:08 am »
One day I gave up and decided to stop the "research" and continue just using 16Gb out of the 32Gb that I bought. I used this computer with 16Gb for some months and didn't even stop to think about it. The computer was so stable that I even went and overclocked it slightly (right now at 4.3Ghz on aftermarket air).

Two days ago I decided to give my 32Gb of RAM another go, but this time I wanted to try something I had read somewhere. That is increasing these 3 settings by +0,200v
-System agent voltage
-CPU IO Analog
-CPU IO Digital

I can't tell if this finally solved the problem, but I haven't had a BSOD in about 40 hours of use, which used to be impossible the first time I used all my 4 DIMMs at the same time.
I have to say this is a Hackintosh build.

GA-Z87X-UD5H
G.Skill TridentX 32Gb 4x8Gb 2400 CL10
Corsair AX860 PSU
GTX 570

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2014, 02:28:18 pm »
Well well, this seems interesting. Would you believe me if I say I've been having BSODs while all dimm slots in use with my z87x-d3h board?

Yes, it's true and I've been scratching my head a while now. The newes F8 bios is no help on this regard, since I updated it yesterday and i had yet another BSOD while watching movie. It could be my aging GEIL 2133mhz Ram also, but since I've read so much about these issues with only gigabyte boards, I start to believe that the ram is not to blame.

I'm going to get new 4x set of ddr3 in day or two and I'll keep you posted. If BSODs stop, the ram is to blame, if not... well I guess I'll have to contact gigabyte.
Gigabyte Z87X-D3H, 4x2GB Geil 2133Mhz RAM, Samsung 830 256GB SSD, Asus R9 290, i7-4770K, Qnix 2710 LED @ 110Hz.

« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2014, 11:09:41 am »
I can confirm: NO CRASHES IN 4 DAYS (that's a lot!).

All I did was add 0,2v to:
-System agent voltage
-CPU IO Analog
-CPU IO Digital

Build:
z87x-ud5h
32Gb Gskill Tridentx 2400

Can someone else try this? I hope gigabyte take note as well.
GA-Z87X-UD5H
Corsair AX860 PSU
GTX 570

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2014, 03:52:55 pm »
I hope gigabyte take note as well.

They already have and right from the day the board came out. You have to OC your CPU a little just like flexmanta did.  ;D

Support for DDR3 3000(O.C.) / 2933(O.C.) / 2800(O.C.) / 2666(O.C.) / 2600(O.C.) / 2500(O.C.) / 2400(O.C.) / 2200(O.C.) / 2133(O.C.) / 2000(O.C.) / 1866(O.C.) / 1800(O.C.) / 1600 / 1333 MHz memory modules.

By the book it says that you really only can run 1600 / 1333 MHz memory modules. At standard settings.

But it does say that you should check on their site for a updated list.

Yes I have read that people that are running lower speed memory are having problems too.

Plus what OS are you running too. I have heard that people running Windows 8 are having more problems than Windows 7.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2014, 04:18:51 pm »
I had crashes both in Windows 8 and in OSX. Now, with the 0,2v voltage increase in system agent and CPU IO Analog and Digital, no crashes in windows 8 or in OSX. Yes, I've done a very conservative multiplier overclock and memory is using XMP running at 2400Mhz (as advertised).
GA-Z87X-UD5H
Corsair AX860 PSU
GTX 570

nmc

« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2014, 05:35:52 pm »
I have two sets of DIMMS and two computers.

The memory sets I use are as follows :

Set 1 - 4 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz 10-10-10-27
Set 2 - 4 x 4 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz 9-9-9-24

I've tested both of these sets with my new Gigabyte Z87-D3HP Motherboard

When I use the 8GB DIMMS I get constant crashes
When using the 4GB DIMMS it never crashes.

I might add that I placed the problematic 8GB DIMMS into another PC with the Gigabyte motherboard (GA-Z68XP-UD5) and ran a memory test on them for 5 days and it worked perfectly without any errors.

The issue for me at least appears to be related only to the 8GB DIMMS and the Z87-D3HP Motherboard.

I installed various linux distributions on this PC at first and it crashed several times, then I installed Windows 7 and started getting the blue screen issues.

I'm using the 4GB DIMMS in the Z87-D3HP right now and it's working fine.

The 8GB DIMMs are also working fine in the older PC on the GA-Z68XP-UD5

So the memory is confirmed good for me but this motherboard (Z87-D3HP) has issues with the 8GB DIMMS that cause it to randomly crash.

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2014, 02:48:13 pm »
@ nmc
How are you setting the memory in the bios? Plus till Gigabyte gets this fix you might have to run the 16gb till then.

One other thing too is you are running 4 sticks where other people can't.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

nmc

« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2014, 04:15:16 pm »
@ nmc
How are you setting the memory in the bios? Plus till Gigabyte gets this fix you might have to run the 16gb till then.

One other thing too is you are running 4 sticks where other people can't.

Everything in my BIOS is set to the default settings as the board came. I don't know what most of those settings are so I never touch them.

Skkane

« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2014, 10:48:31 am »
They will never fix this. We are already on F8... they are inapt

nmc

« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2014, 11:09:26 am »
They will never fix this. We are already on F8... they are inapt

I agree - this motherboard of mine will go on the scrapheap and I will remember the name 'Gigabyte' as something to avoid in the future due to this problem.

Now I have a decision to make, what brand to try next....

« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2014, 11:54:36 am »
Sorry to say that I've gotten cold feet over this whole situation.
I was after the micro-ATX version of the Gigabyte Z87 board, but opted for the Asus Z87M-Plus instead as there were write-ups from people who had made exactly the type of system I wanted to make using it (an ESXi white-box running linux and win servers as well as a windows 7 gaming VM with passthrough GFX card).
RAM is a big requirement, and the last thing I wanted was a situation like this.
I did install a Gigabyte 7750 OC 2GB card though for the passthrough and that's gone sweet, so I guess the 'Big G' still got it's foot in there.

Good luck everyone.

« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2014, 08:17:37 am »
Yep, I can confirm, no 4 sticks of ddr3 ram with z87-d3h without issues. I finally got my Team Group Vulcan CL11 2400Mhz memory 4x4GB and it won't cope with gigabyte when all dimm slots in use. However the new F8 bios has been able to stop the random bsods which were frequent with F7 bios. I ran HCI memory test over night and I got two night in a row memory errors with team group memory and my geil memory. Then I took two dimms out and no erors. I tested again both team group and geil.

I have to say, I'm really baffled about how gigabyte handles things. Haswell was already old when it came out and the motherboards were ready long before haswell was released, so how come gigabyte hasn't still been able to get rid of this problem? As if they havn't done any proper testing on their boards.

Why do I say so, well here is a list of problems even so long after haswell release:
1. 4 dimm memory problem
2. Bios dashboard cannot give you fullhd picture unless you hook up something to your hdmi port alongside with dvi port
3. Bios dashboard doesn't save and load properly your settings and you need to boot sometimes several times before you get the right setting which you supposedly setup. Yes, when you hit aplly, you will see that bios has set the clocks and voltage and s***, but then you boot to windows and cpu-z says different. Then you need to boot once or twise more and voila, you get what you want. But not always, sometimes you have to again bios and set some more. Really annoying.
4. Don't know you guys, but I had some serious GFX card not been able to give signal to monitor issue as well. For some reason I got black screen with my radeon 7850 and different brand 7870 cards. Then I hooked yp asus r9 290 and voila, picture straight away. Same with xfx 7970 card. I tried both my 78xx series cards in every pci-e slot and no result. Setting were the same all the time, pci-e is set to primary output.
5. Then there is the software package which is nice looking and work pretty ok, but I cannot fathom how the coders have been able to make so simple software so sluggish and hog so much memory?

Anyway, I'm done with gigabyte, on paper really good, but in practice, not so much. I've already placed an order for asrock z87 killer board. It's the same price but better hardware and better software.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 08:31:07 am by Power Drill »
Gigabyte Z87X-D3H, 4x2GB Geil 2133Mhz RAM, Samsung 830 256GB SSD, Asus R9 290, i7-4770K, Qnix 2710 LED @ 110Hz.

Skkane

« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2014, 02:46:50 pm »
Appears to be fixed with F9a. Haven't crashed yet @ 1600mhz xmp enabled but still testing. It would've crashed by now multiple times on F8 so keeping my fingers crossed.