Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 bricked after BIOS update from F12 to UEFI?

GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 bricked after BIOS update from F12 to UEFI?
« on: October 09, 2013, 02:29:57 pm »
Specs:
GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 rev 1.3
i7 2600k
H100i cooler
Vengeance 1600 16GB
WD 1TB
seasonic X-Series X-650 Gold

When I got the board it had F12 bios on it, as I needed UEFI I followed the bootable USB drive method.
 This was the outcome  ->

Was a bit baffled about the failure since I applied the correct version of the update (for rev 1.3).
I held the power button for 5 secs and the dual bios kicked in and asked to recover, did that and was able to boot to UEFI bios now.

Anyway, then I went to UEFI  bios and changed drive settings to ACHI and possible something more (can't remember). Saved and rebooted.

After that my system won't boot anymore at all. I short the power pins and the power comes on for a fraction of second, then shuts down immediately. This happens around 4-5 times without me touching anything and after that the system stays on, but with no video signal. At no point I'm getting any video signal at all actually.

I have tried HDMI , DVI, VGA - no signal comes through. Power supply is brand new and gave power perfectly before the BIOS update. tried swapping ram so only one stick is inserted, disconnected drive, replugged everything. I don't know what else to try.

The 4 leds act like this:

Here's a short video how the setup behaves now -

Booting

Appreciate any help/suggestions!

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 bricked after BIOS update from F12 to UEFI?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 02:51:08 pm »
Have you tried to pull the battery and clear the cmos? I myself still do it the old way when I do a update.

I clear the cmos and pull the battery before the update. Then I update and after the update I shut down the computer pull the plug.

Clear the cmos and pull the battery. Wait about 2 minutes and than I set everything back. I go in and set the cmos to default save and exit.

I have never ever had a update fail. You can try this too. I got this from some body and it has work with some people,

I tried somethings on mine and ever time it booted but with a black screen. From removing the power plug to the CPU, remove memory, & unplug the power to the video card, Here is something you can try.

Try this. Make sure to follow directions carefully and exactly. If it does not work the first time try it again.

BIOS Recover Method Via Manually Invoking BACKUP BIOS Auto-Recovery
Using Power Supply - On/Off Switch

It is possible to make the BIOS Auto-Recovery kick in (Dual BIOS) and re-flash the MAIN BIOS with the contents of the BACKUP BIOS.

This is a simple and easy method for anyone to try before having to resort to other more difficult methods, or a RMA.

1. Shut off the power supply using the switch on the back of the PSU, wait 10-15 seconds.
2. Press and hold the case Power On swtich, then while still holding turn on the power supply from the switch on the rear.
3. Still holding the case power on switch, the board will start, once it does release the case power on switch and shut off the power supply via the switch on the read of the unit. (Do the latter two parts as quickly as you can once the board starts)
4. The board will shut down.
5. Turn the power supply back on using the switch on the rear of the unit.
6. Turn on the motherboard by pressing the case power on button.

Once the board starts this time you should see the Gigabyte splash screen, or POST page, then the Auto-Recovery from Dual BIOS will kick in. You will see a checksum error, and then recovery from BACKUP BIOS will begin. Once it is done reboot your machine and enter the BIOS and load optimized defaults then save/apply/reboot back to BIOS.

Now you are done, and will be using whatever BIOS was in your BACKUP BIOS, From there you can attempt whatever you were previously trying, or update your BIOS to the latest version.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 02:57:04 pm »
Thanks dmdilks,

I tried the dual bios trick but it won't kick in since it just power cycles (see video) by it's own and doesn't react to what I'm trying to achieve.

Any other Ideas?

dmdilks

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 03:08:25 pm »
Here is some thing else yo can try. Just make sure you have the right pins on your bios:

http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/33904-how-fix-dead-dual-bios-motherboard-if-flashing-failed.html
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 11:10:08 am »
Nothing works, at no point I'm getting a video signal or bios screen
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 12:27:16 pm by mistahad »

dmdilks

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 01:01:31 pm »
One other thing you could try and I don't if this will work but try a older video card.

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 01:55:40 pm »
Have you tried a PS2 keyboard as usb ports my not be supporting legacy by default.
Also output from onboard graphics if you can?

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 01:57:35 pm »
I was using onboard video all the time - worked before the bios update, not any more. will try a dedicated gfx card

The main issue is that when i push the power button then power comes on only for a fraction of second, then the system shuts down again. this loop goes on for 4-5 times until it stays on but no video signal nevertheless from any video ports - VGA HDMI DVI

thanks
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 01:59:25 pm by mistahad »