Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-M57SLI Memory error, possible RMA required?

Rob

GA-M57SLI Memory error, possible RMA required?
« on: January 04, 2009, 02:08:25 pm »
Hello All!

I purchased a GA-M57SLI on the 14th of August and found that 1 time out of 10 it would not boot properly (no video output, no bios beeps) but a restart would fix the issue. I lived with it, as I tried to troubleshoot it as much as possible but could never get it 100% stable

This morning I have found it will not boot at all. Here's my specs

GA-M57SLI-S4 Rev 2
x2 TwinX 4Gb Corsair XMS2 (8gb Total)
AMD Phenom X3 8450
ATI HD4870

The system powers, with CPU & GPU fans kicking in, HDD spinning up and system LED's lighting. There are no BIOS beeps, video output, and after a couple of seconds the system restarts. This continues until the power is switched off.

Following advice from Andrew in another thread, I removed as many parts as possible, leaving the Motherboard, CPU and power plugged in. The system powers and I get the long continuous DRAM error beeps as expected.

I then tried plugging in 1 ram board into each ram slot on at a time, powering up between each move. The system does not load, instead having the same problem as above (no beeps, restarts after a couple of seconds.)

I have been able to test with 5 different ram boards but with no change and no load up.

This makes me think its a RAM slots error with the board, does this sound about right?

If I need to return the unit for a replcament, would I need to go to Ebuyer (where I bought it from) or directly to Gigabyte? If I was to return to Gigabyte does anyone have a link/help with the process?

I would like to avoid a replacement, so any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Rob

runn3R

• Admin
    • GIGABYTE UK
Re: GA-M57SLI-S4 Memory error, possible RMA required?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 03:52:18 pm »
Hi Rob , Happy New Year!

if you tried so many different memory modules then really this mb needs RMA. for details you should check another thread as this was discussed already:
http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,85.msg369.html#msg369

good luck!

ZX-S & C64 are still my favourites ;-)

Re: GA-M57SLI Memory error, possible RMA required?
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 12:17:54 am »
Hi Rob,
If I were you I'd try to forget the time spent trying to fix it and buy something else! If you search for awhile you'll get the impression that this board hasnt been a great success. I RMA'd mine, and the replacement was just the same, so finally went for a refund. (Ebuyer service was excellent). Bought a different mb locally everything worked fine first time.(cost twice as much, but I've still got a little hair left!)
Bought this board because I was so impressed with my last Gigabyte board (GA-7N400PRO2) which is still working fine after almost 5 years.
As I understand it, if you have a problem within 30 days of purchase you can send it back to Ebuyer, after that it has to go back to Gigabyte.
Hope this helps!

runn3R

• Admin
    • GIGABYTE UK
Re: GA-M57SLI Memory error, possible RMA required?
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 09:16:54 am »
Hi Rob

FYI: return policy of ebuyer is here:
http://static.ebuyer.com/customer/help/index.html?action=c2hvd19ybWFfZmFx
so if you are not business customer then you can return mobo to them even if it's after 28 calendar days from invoice date. just check your warranty you received from them.
ZX-S & C64 are still my favourites ;-)