Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-P55A-UD3 CPU fAN

hal

GA-P55A-UD3 CPU fAN
« on: February 16, 2010, 10:57:28 am »
I have a problem with my CPU fan. Arctic freezer pro rev.2.
When I plug the 4pin cpu fan into cpu header on motherboard the fan just moves a little but won't spin. When I plug it into the system fan 4pin header the fan rotates at full speed. This is the second MB that has had this same problem. I tested the fan on my other PC and it works fine when plugged in. Any one else had this problem? I also plugged the 24 pin power cable and 8pin cpu power cable from another computer that has the same power supply and got the same results no fan spin from cpu header?
PS-Ultra XFINITY 600W

hal

Re: GA-P55A-UD3 CPU fAN
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 03:44:10 am »
Problem solved! Cpu fan does not spin until cpu sensor warms up and tells fan to spin. I was worried cpu would be damaged because fan did not spin after booting pc. I was unplugging the power after 6 seconds into power up, as I thought the fan would not spin at all. After talking with Gigabyte tech, I plugged the cpu fan into the cpu power header on mobo and waited an agonizing 8 seconds as I booted the computer and sure enough the fan is spinning correctly. For sure a new learning curve for me. I now understand this mobo is designed like this.

UD6

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 06:56:59 am »
Hopefully the CPU is designed like this too ;D

oggmonster

• I can see Russia from my house
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 09:48:19 am »
Yeah its all to do with energy saving/quiet fan feature. It can be disabled so the fan runs at 100% all the time (overclockers usually do this ;D )
There's no place like ::1

gilgamesh

• overclockerstech
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 03:32:00 pm »
Yeah its all to do with energy saving/quiet fan feature. It can be disabled so the fan runs at 100% all the time (overclockers usually do this ;D )

Re above: Good call mate

Also this feature would be disabled for example if one wished to watercool the CPU. As then it would set of the RPM alarm from within the Bios. I have seen motherboards refusngi to post, even with a blank screen on some of the older boards if this is not corrected

gilgamesh
www.overclockerstech.com , for the best in PC water cooling and hardware news