Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-H87M-HD3 + Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ cold boot hdd wont start

jst33

Hello everyone

My mobo is GA-H87M-HD3 (rev. 1.x), bios F5  http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4517#bios , cpu is i5 4430, 2x 4b ddr3 sticks 1.5V 1600 Mhz, onboard graphic via dvi connected.
I am having problems with Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB drive (set into sata 2 mode, ie sata 300), in cold boot drive wont start (ie computer is powered off, disk is connected with sata/power cables), but it wont start to spinup when i press power button on computer case, but it does start (and works fine after) if your unplug power cable from the drive  and plug it again.
Samsung hdd is 100% healthy & in almost perfect condition, works fine in 2 others pc with older mobos (no cold boot issue), changed psu on my i5 pc but no changes.
Other sata drives works fine, tested with Seagate Barracuda 7200.11, ST31500341AS 1500 GB and ssd samsung 830 120 GB.
(Had similar case with some old mobo with VT8237 incompatible issue @ sata2 drives, but here it is not the case  ;D).

« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 08:08:19 pm by jst33 »

Teucer

Re: GA-H87M-HD3 + Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ cold boot hdd wont start
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 08:24:33 pm »
I have the same problem. Just upgraded to a Gigabyte GA-H97M-HD3 with an Intel i5 4460 and 8Gb memory. I kept the case, power supply and drives - a 500Gb Western Digital and a 1Tb Samsung HD103S. The WD is the system drive and the Samsung holds the data. Windows installed all the necessary drivers, I added the new Gigabyte drivers from the enclosed DVD and powered up again. Everything worked just fine - except that the Samsung drive was not recognised either by the BIOS or Windows.

To save time I should say that I tried swopping cables (power and signal) and eliminated those early on. Eventually, I discovered that the Samsung was not powering up from a cold start, but that I could "jump start" it by detaching and reattaching the power cable once everything else had powered up. A soft restart would then bring the system up perfectly with the drive already running. I took the opportunity to copy everything off at this point.

My question (sorry it's taken so long) is this: is the drive not powering at a cold start because it is faulty, or is it not powering up because the power supply hasn't got the necessary juice? Or, for some other reason?

The power supply is a CoolerMaster 500 - ID: RS-500-PCAR-A3.

Teucer

Re: GA-H87M-HD3 + Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ cold boot hdd wont start
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 09:31:00 am »
Just to add to above:
I have also noticed that if the drive spins down (eg when system goes into standby) it will not spin up again when system is woken up.