Official GIGABYTE Forum

Z87X-UD3H will not restart

Z87X-UD3H will not restart
« on: November 12, 2013, 10:05:46 pm »
Greetings all...

My new 1150 board seems okay, it starts and loads Windows and appears to run stable (although it's not been stressed yet). However, when I try to Restart, it hangs at the BIOS screen.

The setup is as follows:
Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H rev 1.0 board - updated to F7 BIOS
Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB DDR3 - CMZ16GX3M2A1866C9.
(This memory is on both the Gigabyte and Corsair compatibility lists.)
Intel Core i3-4130 microprocessor
Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD boot disk
Western Digital Red 3TB
Samsung SH-S183L DVD Writer
onboard graphics for the moment.
Seasonic X-series SS-650KM 80 plus Gold power supply
Windows 7 64 bit

That's it for the moment, haven't got any further. So the PC will not restart and gets stuck at the BIOS screen. I must switch off, then on and everything works again.

I notice in the LED code on the board it always gets stuck at A2, "Detect and Install all currently connected IDE devices" (IDE devices?!!)

I have noticed that the memory was not detected properly, both the timings and frequency were wrong on the board, so I have corrected those tio the Corsair values.
There has been NO overclocking attempts on this board.

I've had the board some ten days now, so running out of time to send it backto Amazon (already an international postage, so I'm not keen) and I have no idea if the memory or the board is at fault.

If anyone has any ideas they would be welcome! Thank you in advance for your assistance...

Re: Z87X-UD3H will not restart
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 04:49:28 pm »
Hi All

For info, in case anyone else finds the same problem, it is now solved.

The cause is either a bug in the Marvell controller or the DVD writer. It was installed in one of the Marvell slots and in this position the system will not restart, although it boots correctly. (This is independent of its position in the boot order, or even if it is disabled from the boot devices.)
If I put it in one of the Z87 slots, everything functions correctly.

I might try another writer to see if that works, they are not expensive these days.
Cheers.